Barks at everyone! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Barks at everyone!

Kono is a little over 4 months.
We went to a hotel the other day and she was barking at anyone walking towards us, and when we were waiting at the elevator she was barking at this kid (maybe 7) that was waiting for her parents. I tried to get her to stop but nothing worked. We also went to a playground and she barked at a couple people. She also barks at our neighbors dog even though she has met her many times and sometimes play with her. We do socialize her and she will bark at people until she gets petted by them. I was wondering if she will stop later on in her life and by socializing her it will help or what because she is so young and she is already scaring people. I don't want people to think that she is mean and will attack. So anything will help and if you have any tips to get her to stop barking or to calm her down.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 01:07 AM
Crowned Member

Chances are that she's fear aggressive and this won't stop without an intervention. See if you can get her assessed to find out if that's her problem so you can figure out how to deal with it.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Master Member

Some dogs bark for attention it could have nothing to do with fear. My old pit bull barks at us and stranger to throw a ball for him. He will not stop till the ball is in the Air. It's a behavior that his first owner rewarded and it's been very hard to break him of it. You can't walk on the beach with him finding a stick and then he starts barking at you the whole time to throw it. It's embarrassing.

Like you said he barks because he wants attention. It's not a mean brack right? Is he fuzzed?

I would make the pup sit focus on me then once the pup has stopped barking reward with attention or the attention of the stranger if willing. Something like that kind of training will help. He will not out grow it you need to work on training it out of him. Make sure he knows barking never gets he rubs. Never reward the bark ever.

What do you do when he barks? How are you working on this?

Cookie - 8yr GSD mix rescue
Indy - 13 Yr Pom/chi mix
Hazelnut- 1 yr/ old GSD rescue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Crowned Member

She is 4 months old. She may mature and be more confident and not feel like she needs to bark at everything. Tell her "No." and walk on. Do not hit her, do not yell. Just move on. Take her to classes, and maybe start some puppy agility with her. Lots of praise and lots of treats when she does good. She will gain trust in you and confidence in herself, and it may take several months, but you will learn each other, to the point where you will be able to say to her before she barks, "It's just a man, leave it." And she will understand that you are not worried, and she will have confidence in you to protect her.

Obedience training with praise and treats. Agility training, fun, fun, fun, praise and treats. And time.

Don't flood her with socialization experiences. Back off with having everyone meet and pet her. Take her out and learn at what point she starts to feel insecure and adjust your direction before she does. After a couple of weeks of training, see if you can move closer before she becomes insecure, 2 steps closer, good. That is your new mark.

With continued training and praise, in another 7 years, she will be the best dog anywhere. (But you should see improvement a lot sooner than that.)

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Crowned Member

I think your dog is insecure, probably going through a fear stage, so back up a bit, give her some space. If someone asks, "may I pet your dog?" Say, "No, she is in training." or "No, she needs her space." Down the road, people will be able to come closer and closer and they will be able to offer her treats, and they will be able to pet her. As hard as it sounds, try not to hang on with a death grip to her leash when you see people.

Instead teach her commands, teach her to sit and to stay. If someone comes toward her and within your comfort zone with her, step in front of her. Body Block them. For now.

One day, when you trust her and she trusts you that will be totally unnecessary.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page