To take him out or not too.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Question To take him out or not too..

Just looking for opinions. We have a 8 week old puppy with his first set of shots.

His place to go potty is a couple of houses from our front door. That area is frequented by various animals including dogs, geese and human beings as it is next to a walkway. I started carrying him to the spot and now get him to walk to the space, do his pee pee or potty and get him right back.

I also tried to get him into our back yard which is also frequented by raccoons, possums etc. Then got scared and got him into the house.

As he needs to start meeting people and seeing different places as compared to our neighbours houses only, I was wondering what you guys thought about me taking him walking short distances on the concrete walkway in our sub division

R.I.P. My girl GSD Shadow
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...March 2009 to November 2011
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
taken too early
R.I.P. Clyde - my first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Crowned Member

My vet gave me the blessing to go ahead and take him out, and nothing bad happened.
Said to use common sense: don't let him go near animal poop or wild or unvaccinated animals.

Take your puppy out, to a store, to an outdoor cafe. Hold him, since he is small enough to hold at this age.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Would a store like Petsmart allow me to walk in if he is carried?

We have his first appointment with our vet tomorrow and will surely ask her. When we take him to do his job we do not allow him to sniff at things especially do not let him hang out where I can see poop ( I know sometimes we have dog poop around) as well as geese droppings.

taken too early
R.I.P. Clyde - my first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowdsouza View Post

Just looking for opinions. We have a 8 week old puppy with his first set of shots.

His place to go potty is a couple of houses from our front door. That area is frequented by various animals including dogs, geese and human beings as it is next to a walkway. I started carrying him to the spot and now get him to walk to the space, do his pee pee or potty and get him right back.

I also tried to get him into our back yard which is also frequented by raccoons, possums etc. Then got scared and got him into the house.

As he needs to start meeting people and seeing different places as compared to our neighbours houses only, I was wondering what you guys thought about me taking him walking short distances on the concrete walkway in our sub division
Until he has had at least his second set of shots, I would avoid his usual area because of the animal traffic. Honestly, if this was my pup, with that much animal traffic I would be setting a spot in my backyard for his business until at least after his last set of shots.

For regular socialization, after his second set carry him into the Petsmarts, Petcos etc. Some Lowes and Home Depots still allow dogs. He can have fun riding in the buggy until after his last set.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

If I start him with using the backyard he will continue thinking it is an option and getting him out of it may be troublesome, isn't it??

taken too early
R.I.P. Clyde - my first
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Knighted Member

I'm really not sure where the problem is with using the backyard. Set aside an out of the way area for him to potty and teach him to use that. You would pick it up from there just like you are doing when he pottys a couple of houses down from you.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Kids playing in the yard is why I am hesitating.

taken too early
R.I.P. Clyde - my first
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyla View Post
I'm really not sure where the problem is with using the backyard. Set aside an out of the way area for him to potty and teach him to use that. You would pick it up from there just like you are doing when he pottys a couple of houses down from you.
Also we back into a ravine and we also have a lot of raccoons, bunnies and atleast one possum that travel through the yard multiple times a day. It just seems like there is no real 'safe place'

taken too early
R.I.P. Clyde - my first
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Knighted Member

Very understandable. One of the reasons I suggested an out of the way area, and since you would be picking it up after he finishes...

While I don't have kids at home, I don't like the thought of stepping in it, so I trained both of mine to go to the back of the yard in one corner. Makes it much easier for clean up patrol.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 02:36 PM

Absolutely take him out. German shepherds NEED socialization at an early age to avoid problems later in life. As others have said, use procautions like avoiding unvaccinated animals, poop, and pushy animals/people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page