Venting!!!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Venting!!!!!

My parents are really driving me crazy! I feel like just screaming...AAAHHHH. Here is the deal, we have a German Shepherd by the name of Schatzi. She will be 4 months on the July 5th. The socialization window is closing and my parents DO NOT want to do anything about. We have her in our back yard all day. My mother doesn't want to let her go to the front lawn because she is scared Schatzi might get sick. Schatzi sleeps with me, I try to train her (My first dog I ever owned, so I am learning as I go) I feed her, and I play with her.

My father DOES NOT comprehend the fact that I want my dog to go every where with me. He just sees her as a "guard dog" it pisses me off! The only time we take her out is when she goes to the vet for her shots. I am scared that she hasn't gotten enough socialization and it will cause problems down the road. She is scheduled to start puppy classes on July 14 after she get her final set of vaccines.

Lastly, my mother doesn't even want to go out and spend time with Schatzi because she is scared of her, since Schatzi is teething and bit her a couple of times. I have my hands all scratched up because of Schatzi and it just annoys me that my own mother doesn't want to go out and play with her own dog! She expects this calm, loving, mellow dog; however, she doesn't put in the time nor effort to help me get Schatzi to relax and just be playful. She doesn't even partake when I am training her.

Don't get me wrong my parents are great people and my mom is a loving person and a huge dog lover. When she was younger she had a GSD and it died as a puppy because of Parvo, even though it had a couple of his shots he still managed to get it. Since that happen her fam became more protective of their dogs. They don't let them out and when they do is only to walk them around the block. Now, we have our own dog and my mom is being so protective of Schatzi so she won't get sick, but she is not seeing the big picture. Like I stated, I don't want a dog to keep in our back yard and just walk her around our block. I want a dog that will go places with me or US for that matter and we won't have to worry about something happening. I might be overacting. I don't know. I just needed to vent a little bit.

Talk to me and let me know what you guys think. Any comments or questions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 12:12 AM

Well, it is dangerous to be social with other dogs until the shots are finalized. You can still train with your pup until then. Have you tried to make a flirt pole? Have a look on youtube for flirt pole training.

You can still work on Sit Stay, and all the other things you can do solo as well. If pup classes start soon there will be an excellent time for traveling and training, and look in the forum under bite inhibition for the teething troubles.

Ignorance is Fixable

Contrary to popular thought, life does not hinge around big decisions at crisis points, but small everyday decisions that lead almost inexorably to crisis. Virtue lies in not being lazy when choosing, even in a small way.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 12:36 AM

The other thing I thought about, and something that Bear is *still* having trouble with is to Stay for for a length of time while tied up. Like if we were to go to a show or an outside event where he would have to stay without me for a bit.

Tons of things you could do even in the backyard. Try Dog Dancing or the beginnings of Agility, Scent training, or really superb Heel work.

If you can't go *out* get creative when you are *in* Then when you *do* go out you can bask in the Kudos of having the Bestest Doggie Evar!

Ignorance is Fixable

Contrary to popular thought, life does not hinge around big decisions at crisis points, but small everyday decisions that lead almost inexorably to crisis. Virtue lies in not being lazy when choosing, even in a small way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 01:43 AM

oskar is right, dont be too social before all the shots. that being said, training and socialization isnt something that you do only at a young age and then your done. it is an ongoing process for the life of the dog. hopefully when your pup is up on its vaccinations your mom will be more lenient and understanding about having her out in the world. the classes are a good way to go. they will help you understand more of what the dog needs as well as give you some quality time with her (maybe take a couple pit stops to and from the classes and put shatzi in some high traffic/stimuli areas). if you are taking on the majority of the responsibility of raising the dog you need to convince your parents that properly behaved, well trained dogs dont get that way by being left to their on devices. Good luck, and I hope everything works out.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 01:49 AM

I have actually read that they need to be socialized before shots are complete. There is a critical window that closes at 12 weeks, and if all they have seen is the backyard, it will be more difficult to get them used to the world.

Avoid the dog park, avoid strange dogs, avoid letting her sniff and eat things at the park. But get that puppy out there!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 12:48 AM

Hey.
Maybe have a couple friends over and play with her. My hands are all scratched up from Kono teething too but mine go away in a couple days. I read that you can see what your pets attitude is going to be by the time shots are done. So socializing is good C: I try to socialize her whenever I can. Try telling your parents that she should be socialized more often. You could also ask neighbors to come meet her Yeah try avoiding strange/unknown animals and creepy people HAHA and don't go to dog parks until she is 6 months, I think thats what the store i got Kono at said. Also if your mom doesn't want to be bit due to teething you could have your pup on a leash and have them play for a little while but once she gets to hyped up take her away to a nice quite place. Anyway you can play with her outside in order to have her a little less energetic. Sometimes she'll just be in a bitty mood. Keep the training up too C:

Hope that helps a little C:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page