First play date for our little Meika! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

First play date for our little Meika!

Well today was the day! She's had her 3 set of shots so our Vet said we could be around dogs we know and have their rabies shots.
Our friend has a 1 year old standard poodle female that's really sweet and playful so we figured what the heck, might as well dive in.
Started off a bit rocky, Meika was afraid to begin with sticking to me like an appendage. I sat with her for a bit petting her and letting Gracie (poodle) get near and sniff Meika. Gracie was all play and bouncing around but Meika wasn't quite sure. After about 20 mins Meika decided she'd try to play "tough girl" and started barking and light growling at Gracie, her hackles even went up a time or two. Gracie took it all in stride and just kept nuzzling her and running around her until Meika couldn't help herself and she started chasing Gracie with her leash on and trailing behind her just to remind her she's still under our control.
After a bit of this and a bit more bravado from Meika I unclipped her leash and turned 'em loose. Meika quit the "big tough dog" barking thing after Gracie put her in her place a couple of times (Gracie is about 40 lbs heavier) and then they really started to have a ball even giving each other a few "kisses" before it was over.
Whew, was I relieved I'd made the right call on letting her run loose for Gracie to teach her "play time" and not be aggressive.
She's been great with kids and excited to meet people so far, we've just got to set up another play date so she'll be more comfortable.
Yippee so far though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page