When do the ribs "spring" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

When do the ribs "spring"

Just curious. Beau certainly comes from solid hefty stock though he seems a bit narrow on the chest right now at 11 months.

I would like to see a broader stance but he is what he is.

Wondering if I should increase his protein levels, do more excercise for shoulders (like pulling, digging) or does it really matter? He is on 26% protein right now (Fromm LBP) and I don't know if increasing his food protein is a good idea or not. I think for his frame as it is, he is currently a good weight. (24 inches about 80lbs)

Does anyone have pictures of males built like this around 1 year at 2-3 years when fully developed?

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Thought I would give this another try. To see what addtional bulking up, if any, I can expect between now and adulthood. Currently at 11 months.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 10:02 AM

We have a 3 year old at training that never sprung. His sire is pretty built and a SCH II, and he gets tons of exercise up and down the mountains. I thought it was kind of odd that he hasn't filled out yet, but he is really narrow. I'll see if I can get some recent pics. I think he is currently on Nutri Source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Knighted Member

Hunter was like that at his age, but even now at 13 months he is expanding more and more.

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Banned

Can't help much as I don't remember the exact day and month but I think you've still got some time left. In the water picture it looks like his chest is just fine, and as I'm pretty sure this is a working line I don't really know how much bigger his chest can get. He's got a pretty small frame and shouldn't really get bigger. I know my boy topped out at 26" at around 11-12 months, and only recently have I received comments about his chest. My boy is 26" and about 80 lbs as well. Is yours really really long? Cause I thought mine was pretty long and to carry that weight yours would have to be longer lol.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Crowned Member

I'm not a breeder or expert since no one else answered thought I would chime in... even as puppies my dogs had the frames they would keep as adults. They just put more weight on.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

This one was taken at 6 months and he seems beefier there and in my Avatar -- it is recently that he has looked taller and leaner and even lighter in bone. Yes he is long in the back, I would say so I am already starting to do core excercises with him to keep that back stabilized.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Crowned Member

Aiden was super skinny and lanky with what seemed to be very little muscle tone up until this past year. He will be 3 years old next month.

1 year

And almost 3

Feuergarten German Shepherds

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Wow. Major changes. Beau is half Czech and his sire is a tank. I do know the Czech lines mature more slowly but he resembles his mother more. But she is not gangly either.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Wow. Major changes. Beau is half Czech and his sire is a tank. I do know the Czech lines mature more slowly but he resembles his mother more. But she is not gangly either.
Aiden is WGSL/WGWL. His working line father is a monster of a dog and I expexted Aiden to be huge too. His mom is a very tiny little thing. I think he got a direct combination of the two. He is still big (85lbs) but not nearly as big or substantial as his father. And I still see changes in him (in pics) from the last few months alone. He seems to have just started filling out. I heard that it can take up to 4 years, but I really just started believing that now

Feuergarten German Shepherds

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page