puppy play question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

puppy play question

Do most young German Shepherd puppies (around 4 months) know to be gentle when playing with a tiny toy dog?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Banned

No.

And I don't think mine still understands it. He thinks he's a 10 lb puppy.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Master Member

Not mine. She can play rough with my 9 lbs adult dog. She is learning that rough = no play so is getting better about it. I had caught her grabbing the little dog before and after a severe scolding and putting away in the crate I never seen her do it again. When she swings her forearms from time to time like a lunatic at the little dog I also tell her to stop. I've to teach her touching the little dog in certain ways are just not acceptable. I think if the puppy is rough it can be taught how to be gentle and can grow into a gentle giant. =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

About a month ago at the dog park, an extremely tiny dog approached our then 4 month old German Shepherd puppy Xena wanting to play. We assumed the worst and rushed to the rescue, only to learn there was no reason for concern. When Xena saw how tiny the other dog was, she laid down in front of it and let it bat her face with its paws and responded by nudging it with her nose. We were surprised at her reaction but I thought it might be typical since German Shepherds are highly intelligent.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 12:37 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

That is sweet -

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Yeah we thought so too. But I assumed since German Shepherds are smart, her response was typical. Apparently, it wasn't....which doesn't make it any less sweet. I'm proud of her.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Crowned Member

Delgado was raised around cats so his prey drive for smaller things has been negated mostly which I appreciate since he lives with my 11 lb poodle and two cats. He sometimes forgets but Jazzy will growl and he'll back away or the cats jump away from him so he's learned quickly if he wants to play with them he has to be gentle

He plays much differently with more boisterous larger dogs

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr & Mrs Kirkley View Post
Yeah we thought so too. But I assumed since German Shepherds are smart, her response was typical. Apparently, it wasn't....which doesn't make it any less sweet. I'm proud of her.
It's sweeter!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Master Member

I have toy poodles from 3-6 lbs..and cats. Tazor is in no way a mean dog but he does get too rough and over excited for his size with the little ones.. I expected this and supervise him. The one thing he does with both cats and dogs is mouth them causing their entire heads to disappear . He doesn't clamp down..obviously or i would have posted a ...My dog ate all my other pets...thread. But..he is 8 months now and I am still correcting this..

He is gentle ..except with his big @ss paws..that seems tge equivelant of a telephone pole falling on your head. The poodles are screaming meemees ...and drama queens...and all I can say is this is an annoying mix.. anyone want a lil poodle??? Lol

Jen Nyce

Airbrush Artist

Tazor Von Best GermanShepherdinTheWorld
`10 months
Pennsylvania

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page