post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

4 Months old. Too skinny?

Hi,

I am concerned that my 4 month old male is too skinny. His stats:
4months old
33lbs
20" tall
21" length

We are feeding him between 2lbs of k9kravings raw dog food a day. Sometimes he eats it all, other timers he barey touches it. Every single puppy, male or female from this dogs father are nice thick full dogs. The only difference is the mother of my dog. She was from another breeder.

See the attached pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	2260
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	17826   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	14988
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	17827   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	2716
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	17828  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Also, we have had him checked multiple times for worms and parasites. All tests negative. The only issue he has had is that he has had a couple of ticks and has a small hernia.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Knighted Member

Puppies look too skinny, gangly and awkward at this age. He looks fine for his age. Continue to feed him the recommended amount and resist the temptation to put too much weight on him too fast. He's a growing pup and you don't want to put added stress on his joints. My male looked skinny and young till about 11 months. Then he started filling out a lot more and has packed on muscle. Especially males can take till 2-3 years of age to fill out properly.

Ash
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 08:31 AM

He looks a lot like my pup. I read to grow them slowly, and that they will reach the same size at the end as if you'd fed them more and grown them quicker. It's bad for their bones and joints to grow too quickly.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Crowned Member

My breeder said that when people see my dog she hopes they say he is too skinny.
Your dog looks fine.

Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

Rolf, German import DOB 6-7-2019
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 01:00 PM

looks like him and my pup could be brothers. mine is also 4 months and on the skinny side. I did notice him plumping up a bit and putting on muscle after being away from home for 4 days.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 07:12 PM
Master Member

the first picture he looks a tad thin, but the other ones he looks fine. is the k9cravings a fully balanced raw diet? (as in premade raw) with growing pups i wouldnt feed raw unless you have done it for a long time as raw with pups is iffy as far as nutrition goes with their growing bodies.. some pups need more then 2lbs of raw a day, it depends on the dog..i have never had a puppy turn down food, every one i had went crazy when it was feeding time (some pups arent that into food which i know, my friends adult gsd is beyond picky and drives her nuts with his eating habits)

maybe you would want to supplement with kibble for one meal (feed raw for one meal and kibble for another meal) just to make sure he is getting the proper nutrients for his growing joints and body...

Maryellen
Rufus CGC,ATTS,TherapyDog
Sadie ATTS
Honey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page