Skinny Pup - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Skinny Pup

At 5 months and 3 weeks Viking weighed in at 43lbs. The average weight chart for males usually says 50lbs, and after paying attention to people's posted weights on here, I seemed to see 45lbs at an earlier date than that. I don't think he's drastically underweight, but he is skinny. I can easily count his rips with my fingers and feel his hip bones (something I couldn't do before). It's hard for me to tell because he's a coatie (I have the same issue with my cats but I've had cats for so long that I just learned how to tell their weight by touch).

He has bouts of this as he's growing, which I'm sure is normal for a puppy. He was skinny a few months back and then he was normal for awhile (normal being the kind of thin I like, without being too thin). His legs are a lot less meaty than other shepherds his age.

Currently I feed 2.25 cups a day of California Natural Puppy Chicken, mixed with salmon oil and green tripe. Some day he gets a lot of treats (adding up to a hot dog) other days he won't get so many or will only get kibble as treats. I like to throw an egg in or chicken in from time to time too. I was just wondering if I should up his food to 2.5-3ish cups a day instead because he's getting larger without gaining any weight.

I usually figure that all puppies will be skinny while growing up, but I just want to make sure he's getting enough nutrients for his growing body. Do you guys thinking upping the food would be a good idea?

Viking vom Zeder-Kamme (11/19/2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Banned

People seem to be obsessed with their puppy's size/weight. I know I was. If he is skinny he is still in the ball park for being in the standard. You might feed him a little more and/or use a higher calorie food. JMHO
Abby was skinny at that age: then...
Skinny Pup-img_0331.jpg
<<-- Abby now

Last edited by PaddyD; 05-14-2012 at 08:35 PM.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I'm not too worried about him growing up to be a certain size, I just want to make sure he's getting enough food. A sign he might not be is if he's getting taller/longer without going up in weight. Actually, I just weighed him and he's 45-46lbs (give or take the scale was jumping around a lot).

Last edited by ladyfreckles; 05-14-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
I'm not too worried about him growing up to be a certain size, I just want to make sure he's getting enough food. A sign he might not be is if he's getting taller/longer without going up in weight (could be a sign that he's actually losing weight as he grows, especially considering he's been this weight for a couple of weeks now).
Look at my Abby pic at 5.5 months. She sprung up without adding weight. It happens. I hope that health issues have been ruled out. I still say he is in the ball park for a good standard weight. Take his weight at 4 months. That is likely to be approximately half his adult weight.

Last edited by PaddyD; 05-14-2012 at 09:38 PM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
Look at my Abby pic at 5.5 months. She sprung up without adding weight. It happens. I hope that health issues have been ruled out. I still say he is in the ball park for a good standard weight. Take his weight at 4 months. That is likely to be approximately his adult weight.
Looks like they have. We have a PennHIP this Wednesday and after we get the results from that we're probably going to do a follow-up check-up with a vet. Poop's great, personality is great, energy level is great. There was a point at which he stayed 43lbs and didn't gain weight, that's when I upped it to 2.25 cups a day from 2 cups. But he still hadn't shown any sign of weight gain at the vet. So I was worried. Just now he was about 44-46lbs (based on the range, scale never settled) so it seems to have been putting meat on him.

Yeah abby looked thin at 5 months. She looks good to me.

I just wanted to make sure I'm not starving him.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
Looks like they have. We have a PennHIP this Wednesday and after we get the results from that we're probably going to do a follow-up check-up with a vet. Poop's great, personality is great, energy level is great. There was a point at which he stayed 43lbs and didn't gain weight, that's when I upped it to 2.25 cups a day from 2 cups. But he still hadn't shown any sign of weight gain at the vet. So I was worried. Just now he was about 44-46lbs (based on the range, scale never settled) so it seems to have been putting meat on him.

Yeah abby looked thin at 5 months. She looks good to me.

I just wanted to make sure I'm not starving him.
Probably could feed him more. What are you feeding him?
I am far from an expert but I would take a stab at 1200 calories a day. I hope someone with more knowledge will jump in.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Elite Member

Kastle was SCRAWNY at that age - he's not that much bigger now but he's not so bony now. He was basically skin and bones LOL He just would not put on weight for a couple of months. He looked fine b/c he's a coatie as well but we'd bathe him or take him swimming and realize how little he was - not just thin but also narrow. I upped his food and tried raw and higher calorie diets and it just resulted in him pooping a ton more and soft poops. Apparently, developmentally, he just needed to be skinny for awhile

ETA: Kastle is 57 lbs at 11 months.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:46 PM
Crowned Member

Could you post a recent picture of the handsome guy? I know Aiden was about 50 lbs at 5 months. I can't exactly remember, but I think he was getting a cup to a cup and a half of food 3x per day.

You can't really see too much from this photo, but you can tell he was a meaty little dude at that age.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:51 PM
Crowned Member

Does his ribs feel like the back of your hands? That's ideal when it comes to weight. They (his ribs) should be felt, but not easily seen.

Forget the average weight charts. They grow like they're genetically designed to grow. Some males get to 120+ and others just hit 70.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 10:48 PM
Banned

use the charts as a slight guideline. post
some pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page