Correcting down pasterns? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Correcting down pasterns?

I recently adopted a 4-5 month old GSD with down pasterns/carpel subluxation. I don't know much about her history, so I don't know if this is a result of genetics, diet, or confinement. We took her to an orthopedic vet who said that because she is so young that he thinks she has a decent chance of outgrowing it, but she is at risk of having arthritis when she is older if it doesn't self correct. I was advised to keep her on a low protein diet to slow down her growth, and add some glucosamine supplements.

It would be really helpful if anyone could share their experiences with this and what worked/didn't work for their dog. I want to do do whatever I can for her ASAP since I'm hoping she is still young enough to get this under control.

I attached a picture of Willow that I think shows her pasterns well... how bad do you think it is? This picture was taken the day after we adopted her. As you can see from how skinny she is, I'm thinking her weak pasterns could be from a poor diet.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4535.jpg
Views:	4287
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	17274  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 01:34 AM
Crowned Member

Maybe it's just the picture, but she doesn't look all that skinny; just normal lanky pup. Her pasterns are bad. Definitely feed the best diet you can and provide a lot of very low impact exercise, such as swimming if possible. Are there any rehab places around that you could take her for swimming? It's pretty pricey, but in this case it would be worth it.

It's very hard to tell how much she will improve with time. Her legs are pretty bad, but some dogs improve almost back to normal and others don't. If you knew what her parents were like, it might give you some idea of what to expect.

I've always wondered if wrapping the front legs for support wouldn't help. Something you could breeze by your ortho vet.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 01:38 AM
Crowned Member

It's not easy to tell because of the coat, but she doesn't look skinny to me. She definitely does has weak pasterns though... no doubt about it.

I'd PM either Carmen (carmspack) or Robin (robinhuerta) about this if they don't see this thread. I know they helped out another member with this same issue not too long ago. They should be able to provide some guidance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 01:40 AM
Elite Member

My pup had this problem. I did a lot of research and of course I found plenty of conflicting information. The majority of information was inclined to low protein and high calcium. I fed him purina puppy chow. I assumed the low quality protein would balance out with the high calcium.

I also never exercised on manmade pavements. It was always grass, dirt, swimming, anything natural.

My pup out grew it, good luck with yours.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 01:49 AM
Elite Member

14 weeks

Correcting down pasterns?-vid02099.jpg

10 months

Correcting down pasterns?-vid03333.jpg
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 06:57 AM
Crowned Member

Send a PM to Carmen!!!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Kev

Weak pasterns aren't the same as Carpul sublaxation right? It looks like only her pads touch the ground so I'm not sure. How can you see that it's weak?

Millview's Bosco 12/15/11 Winter Pup
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 07:36 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkosmom View Post
I remember this.

He looks terrific!

Nice job.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
Send a PM to Carmen!!!
I couldn't agree more with this! Having discussed such things with Carmen when I had my foster, I can concur that she is an amazing source for such information. Absolutely engage her!

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post
I remember this.

He looks terrific!

Nice job.
Thanks Anthony!

I almost put him back on the plane to the breeder, but I was unsure what would happen to him. I notified the breeder to have it documented and started doing research.

I am so glad I gave him a chance. He really is a nice dog and I like him a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page