So let me try to get this straight...growth, Large Breed food, (pic attached :)) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

So let me try to get this straight...growth, Large Breed food, (pic attached :))

So let me try and get this straight. So far ive read the height, weight, growth charts, and food quality of pretty much everyone's GSD's (took forever!!! )

Correct me if im wrong in any of these matters PLEASE!

Ive read all this to ensure the ideal food and health for my pup. Parker is currently as of today 13 weeks exactly. He went today exactly to the Vet this morning and weighed at 22.6 pounds (which according to some of the growth charts he's 'average') His height at the shoulders is 17 inches. He's on the skinny side and from what ive seen also in the forum threads on weight, he will fill right up as he grows (see next paragraph about food/growth) The vet said his weight is perfect, she also owns a GSD. So all signs, going by what the threads have told me, point to Parker being healthy and ok.

Ive been feeding him Fromm Gold for Large Breed Puppies. From what ive seen on forum threads Fromm Gold is very good food for him (I can handle the price since i have one of my fraternity brothers that owns a small pet shop store that sells it and gives me a "slight" discount ) According to the Fromm representative that sells the food to the store owner, Fromm Large breed is specifically made for Large breed in that Large Breeds tend to suffer from joint and hip dysplasia. The specific Large Breed formula tends to regulate their growth for them to "fit" right in into their bodies by providing the amount they need as they grow. Going from this, he said that at first you'll see the dog eating the right amount of food but gain weight slowly. This appeased me since he was looking on the skinny side. He gets plenty of exercise since he i want him to run with me when he becomes an adult. Going by what the forum threads have said, im starting him off by walking just a mile and increasing another block every two weeks with occasional jogging. Only run him during the morning as well. That will be his "job" since every GSD needs a "job" according to the threads.

Some Background on Parker, His father weighed in at 125 pounds and his mother at 115 pounds. So going by these, he will be a very very big boy. But going through the charts he seems to be at par with the average. Correct me on this, but every dog grows differently and i was wondering if he will be that weight when he grows up.

This is my first GSD and ive been researching the breed for about a year before i got him. this is my fourth post on this website as well, so bear with me lol. But like most of you know, you can never get enough information.

I want to get everything perfect since i am a bit of a perfectionist

Thank you for your time and effort on reading this.Sorry for it being a bit long :/

To end, i think i got the breed more or less down. but mainly i would like some more input on his future weight. i would love for him to be close to his dad (all muscly and fast) but i would love him regardless. Anything you can help me with, correct me, make fun of...i would appreciate anything lol

Thanks

Lou and Parker

Proud dad of:
Parker-My first WGSD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ruka-Shiba Inu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ParkersPopLou; 05-11-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Crowned Member

There is no set rule on how far to walk your pup or how much or how fast to increase it. Take a look at how well he's keeping up and how much pep he still has when you are done. You can feel free to exercise him as much as you want so long as you don't push him further than he's readily able to go.

No way to tell how big he will get at this point. Best indicator of future size is to look at his feet. If they are huge compared to the rest of him, chances are he will be a bigger dog.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Several of us have used this food and really like it. I do add glucosamine/MSM and fish oil though. I use the Grizzly Salmon Oil and follow the directions. At 10 months I am looking to add a little more protein to the diet but Beau is intact and adding muscle now.

As far as final size. Who knows? I can't predict.

Excercise - boy you get a lot of varied opinions on that one as well.

Can you do everything perfect? Well for everything some folks say you are doing great, others will say you are making big mistakes . Relax. Enjoy. Surround yourself with competent dog folks and do the best you can.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 10:03 PM

I am getting my first pup Saturday so was hoping to see a lot more answers to this thread; but I just couldn't pass up saying what a gorgeous GSD !!!

Olivera "Ollie" von Feiertage
DOB: 09/05/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page