Playing but biting each other - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Playing but biting each other

so we have two puppies a male whos 4 months and a 3 month female. my question is they play but are always biting at each other. they dont chase each other just wrestle and bite. theres no yelping so i know its not hard biting. but the female will get tired or not want to play and nip at the male. should i seprate them and crate them when this happens to give them time or let them figure it out. thank you for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 02:40 PM

god bless ya for taking on two so close in age!

Yes I would separate them at times, as in training separately, walking separately, let the 'other' get used to being left alone. What tends to happen with puppies close in age is, they bond to each other, their 'human' is nothing to them, they can get so bonded they can suffer from seperation anxiety when one is removed.

Not to mention, double the bills, double the work..Cute as they are, two close in age can be a royal pain in the butt !

I would definately give them seperate time outs

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 10:04 PM

I think that a little playing like this is okay, as long as you have a way to get them to stop when you feel it's getting out of hand. The problem with having two puppies the same age is that there is no "voice of reason". When our pup gets a little too crazy, the older ones let her know this in no uncertain terms! Since you don't have an older dog to teach her when enough is enough, you'll have to keep a close eye on it and be the one to put a stop to it. Crating is one way to stop this, as long as they don't feel they're being punished in the crate. Always use the same word when you try to stop them from playing rough like this, such as "enough!", and then follow up with a special treat in their crate. Also, try to encourage non-bitey play, such as chasing a ball together. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page