How much exercise for a pup? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

How much exercise for a pup?

This is my first post here, but I've poked around for a little while and have learned some valuable things.

We adopted our first German Shepherd and first large dog about 7 weeks ago (have an elderly Beagle now and grew up with a Sheltie). His name is Rico and we love him to pieces. He came to us from an excellent and responsible American show breeder who decided after 6 months that he would not get large enough to show, and lacked that alpha personality for the ring. So we got this gorgeous dog at 6 months old, and his temperament is perfect for our family (we have 5 kids).

So to my question. We have an active household. Rico gets walked about 1-2 miles a day, and played with actively for maybe an additional 1/2 hour to hour. We just started jogging/bike riding with him, so he can trot for a mile or so. But this got me wondering, how much exercise is too much for an 8 month old? He loves the exercise, and is very healthy, but we don't want to overtax him.

He is currently 8 months old and intact. When we got him, he was about 48-50#. He now weighs about 56# and is still quite lean. I measure him at 24" at the withers (if I'm doing it right).

Thank you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

The only change I would make is the riding next to the bicycle.....the jogging on pavement at that age is not so good on joints.

And then still not much jumping into and out of things.

Welcome to the forum. I have a 10 month old pup right now and am relearning everything I forgot.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Nancy,

Thanks for the reply. At what age do you think he could trot on pavement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Good Question - I would like an answer too. I was told after about 18 months to 2 years when he has finished growing. I plan on doing roadwork on a bicycle with my pup to help keep him in condition.

I bet the breeder might know. They work show dogs to keep in form.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Crowned Member

You are doing just fine. No reason not to run your dog on pavement if that's all you've got. It will not hurt your dog.

The important thing is to always pace your dog. Change the speed you are going at and always bring the dog back to a slow jog after speed so his breathing can come back down.

Ignore all the silliness about not exercising your pup, especially on hard surfaces, and not jogging until they are too old to really benefit from it. It's all just a myth.

Elaine and the herd
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I want to bump becuase I am postponing roadworking a very energetic 10 month old as I was told by several to wait until 18 months. I know some breeders also have it as a restrction.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Crowned Member

This is a total myth. It gets repeated so often that people think it's actually true. I've been running dogs forever along with a lot of other people here without any problems. They can come up with the same kind of minor injuries that human runners can get, like scraped or cut pads, pulled muscles, and over heating, which can be easily prevented.

You don't ever want to push you pup and you should always watch how well they recover from exercise so you keep it appropriate for that particular pup. Whereas my pup can go very long distances already at a very good pace, there are other pups, like the ones in my obedience class, that would do well to be able to walk around the block - it kills me to see how crippled some of these showline dogs are

Exercise builds muscle, bone, heart, and lung, and it's very good for young dogs.

Elaine and the herd
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Elaine,

I appreciate the feedback. That is encouraging.

Rico is a showline dog, btw, but runs and plays well. He has a good gait (I think) and a lot of endurance. He's 8 months old, and can do a 2-3 mile walk without breaking a sweat, or trot 1-2 miles pretty easily (we haven't tried much farther yet).
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Crowned Member

You'll notice I said some showline dogs, not all That said, don't compare what your pup can and can't do to other pups as it can make you crazy.

One to two miles distance can be a lot for some and nothing for others. I start with a slow jog to warm up my pup, then alternate medium to fast trots with an occassional dead run. I bring my pup back down to an easy jog when I see he's either breathing hard or tiring. Once he's refreshed, I will pick up the pace again. I always do a slow jog on the way home to cool him back down.

Keep up the good work and enjoy exercising your pup.

Elaine and the herd
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips, Elaine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page