GSD Water Dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

GSD Water Dogs?

We have a new 12 week old GSD fem "Ziva" that we got a week ago. We also have a 7 month old Lab fem "Abby". They get along great, love to tussle but Abby of course is nuts about the pool but Ziva, not so much. I've seen GSD's in pools and lakes, not sure wether it's a natural thing or learned behavior and would like some advice on that subject.

Also, Ziva has been in the pool but only with me holding her like you would a baby. She doesn't seem afraid of the water but also doesn't want to hang around and gets out quickly. I'd like to know others experience with their GS in water.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:34 PM

Effie loves the water. We have a small, shallow pond on the farm and she has been down to the local creek. She has only been places that she could walk into and splash around. Can Ziva walk in the pool or is it just a place to jump in and swim? Maybe she would like a small kiddie pool until she gets used to it.

Linda
Effie (GSD) 7-20-11
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Crowned Member

My golden retriever took to the water on his own the first time I took him to the beach...my other dog a samoyed mix, stayed at the edge of the beach watching until we were leaving, then she went in and loved it. The GSD puppy doesn't like streams, creeks, and ignores the ponds, but when you turn the shower on she sounds like a horse trying to get to the water...I figure that they will eventually like it or they won't, but I wouldn't force them. I will try the kiddie pool with the GSD this summer and I think that is the best way to start.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Crowned Member

I think it is as simple as, some dogs like water and some dogs dont. My gsd loves water. My friends gsd hates it.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:38 PM

Our puppy hates baths, bit loves to play in water other than that When she gets a bath she screams like she is getting murdered.lol

Casey-black/white lab/springer mix 060511
Chloe-GSP- 01/14/12
Cassie-GSD/Heeler mix 12/26/01-09/05/11 RIP You will be missed always, Mommy loves you baby,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bear-Lasa-poo (Our energizer bunny) RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
I think it is as simple as, some dogs like water and some dogs dont. My gsd loves water. My friends gsd hates it.
I agree.
My GSD can take it or leave it ... doesn't love it, doesn't hate it.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Master Member

Bear- LOVED the water. He used to swim beside my kayak on short excursions. I always stay close to the shore (I am afraid of deep water) so he could get out if he chose. But, he never wanted to he would swim for MILES! I always made him take a break where he could touch.

Kai-Also a huge water fan, no puddle,swamp dich run off or bathtub was safe! She would also swim forever beside my kayak.

Birbo- Loved to wade and play but hated actually swimming.

Tober- He is only 8m and has had limited experience around the water. It is still in the 50-60's during the day and the water is cold in Maine. He will swim in the slow moving brook out back. He will go in after a valuable object but does not go for "joy swims" (that is what I call just paddling around for no reason).
I have high hopes thought that this summer when it is hot that he will become a water lover.

Sydney(rescue)-Pit cross
Birbo(rescue)-GSD

Until we meet again . . .
Bear(rescue)-GSD, my soul mate.
Kai-(rescue)GSD, my forever baby.
Kobie-Pomeranian, my tiniest dog with the biggest heart.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 11:32 PM

It took me 2 summers to get Frodo to put one paw into his kiddie pool. Last summer I took him to lake for the 1st time and as soon as I opened car door he ran right in, he cant get enough of the lake. He tolerates getting a bath with outside hose. Also took him to beach last fall (1st time) and as soon as waves came up he ran back away from the water. I would definately suggest getting Ziva a kiddie pool and just let her explore, maybe she will learn to like it.

Frodo - GSD, DOB 12/13/2007, Diagnosed EPI 10/21/2011

Waiting at the Bridge - Chance
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glinny View Post
Effie loves the water. We have a small, shallow pond on the farm and she has been down to the local creek. She has only been places that she could walk into and splash around. Can Ziva walk in the pool or is it just a place to jump in and swim? Maybe she would like a small kiddie pool until she gets used to it.
Our pool has a shallow area about 6" deep that i had designed for our grandkids and she's liking that. When I cradle her in the rest of the pool she seems very content and not afraid which I think is a good sign. My 7 month old Lab Abby can't get enough of the water although she was a little apprehensive at first, she's full-on gonzo over it now.

Thanks

Last edited by jnaeve; 05-06-2012 at 09:10 AM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Crowned Member

All my GSDs have been water dogs.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page