Dog reactive? Advice needed!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Dog reactive? Advice needed!!

I really need some advice!

Meka is 12 weeks today. She is super sweet and super smart. She was scared of our lab when we first brought her home at 8 weeks but my lab is an old sweetheart and they are the best of buddies now. She hasn't been around any other dogs since.

Today she had her 12 week checkup at the vet. As we came out of the room there was a huge lab standing there, Meka went crazy, absolutely crazy, barking and lunging at her...not in a playful way!! This lab just stood there thank goodness!

I just told her no and moved her to the other side of the counter where she calmed down.

What should I do!! Can she be so dog reactive this young? I'm almost wishing that I had ignored the parvo warning and started taking her to the park weeks ago! How should I react when she does this?
She is starting in a puppy class in 2 days and I'm really concerned that she is going to be aggressive there.

Louise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Banned

Sounds like maybe the big dog there when she came into the room startled your pup so she reacted. I would try to get her more used to things as at 12 weeks she has plenty of time to be slowly introduced to many different things, people and calm friendly dogs and esp. other puppies.

I think she will be fine in puppy class just be sure to be alert to jump in and not let any other puppies bully or overwhelm her. just stay very calm whenever she is with you, and inturupt any too hard playing.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for responding. Yes I think she was startled, and thank goodness the dog was friendly and just stood there while Meka barked at her.

Now if she has the same response when she sees another dog what should I do? Pull her away, tell her no? I guess that's my biggest thing is that I'm just not sure how I should react.

Louise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 06:51 PM

Try to redirect her attention with a toy, treat, something that's more interesting than the other dog, and when she looks away, praise her. If you've worked on a "Leave it" command, use that. When Tank was younger, we would be walking and he would look at another dog, I'd say "Leave it" and he would look at me instead thinking I had a treat ready for him. It works wonders.

Ravel Vom Leineholz aka Tank (9/8/2011)
"You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankin View Post
Try to redirect her attention with a toy, treat, something that's more interesting than the other dog, and when she looks away, praise her. If you've worked on a "Leave it" command, use that. When Tank was younger, we would be walking and he would look at another dog, I'd say "Leave it" and he would look at me instead thinking I had a treat ready for him. It works wonders.
This is what we have been doing with our 4 month old puppy She plays with our older/larger Samoyeds and wants to play with all the other dogs she sees. So she is barking and wagging her tail at them to play, but it's not the right time in class or when they were getting their pictures taken this weekend

We redirect her with toys, activities or even just walking away or blocking her view of the other dog.

~ Dori ~

Koda: 14 yr old Samoyed
Nita: 7 yr old GSD
Ryder: 5 yr old Samoyed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page