New German Shepherd puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

New German Shepherd puppy

Hi,

My parents picked brought home our new family member on Thursday. Still doesn't have a name . He's going to be 11 weeks old on Tuesday. We can't take him to the park because he doesn't have all of his shots yet. Any tips on keeping him active throughout the day so that he can burn some energy?

Here are some picks of his pics. It was hard to get a good shot because it was his first day home and he was so hyper

He's from Von der haus Gill in Ohio. Here are his parents:

Von der Haus Gill German Shepherds

He's a sable, but I want to get your opinions on what he might look like? Dark sable, maybe? I'm not sure. He is so much fun and we love him so much already. Also, any ideas on a name?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Crowned Member

He is adorable! Looks like he will be dark sable. You could play with him in the yard until he has his shots. It's what I did (:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...4-z-names.html Lots of name suggestions here (:

Also, welcome and congrats on the puppy!

Kymmey
Mom To~ Dakoda (b/t GSD), Acheron (black GSD)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Crowned Member

Very cute Play, lots of toys , attention, and training, keep his mind and body tired and you'll have one happy puppy

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I'm thinking dark sable, too. We absolutely love his puppy coat. He feels like a big teddy bear The name list is perfect! I see lots of names that would suit him. At the moment we're calling him Pup and Boy He's going to love playing in the yard. We still have to get him LOTS of toys. The ones my parents brought home don't seem to be enough, because he's turned his attention to other things, like the furniture and even us, YIKES! We also tried to start training, but he is so distracted by everything. We're working on the 'sit' and 'come' commands, but he's more interested in everything else We're going to try training him before meal time. That way he'll appreciate the treats. Thanks, both of you. Great suggestions!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Crowned Member

Happy to help! (: Keep posting pics and update us on his training! And of course his name when he gets one (:

Kymmey
Mom To~ Dakoda (b/t GSD), Acheron (black GSD)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Elite Member

Very cute little boy!!

~ Dori ~

Koda: 14 yr old Samoyed
Nita: 7 yr old GSD
Ryder: 5 yr old Samoyed
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone! I'll post pics as he grows and let you know what when we decide on a name for him
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 10:14 PM

Before you teach sit and come, start the LOOK AT ME "command". Train your puppy to pay attention to you and training sit and stay will be MUCH easier to train. Find your puppy's "gold" treat or toy and use it to reqard every time she focuses on you when you request it.

VERY cute puppy BTW!!!

Sir Jackson of Kittyhawk 13yo Golden
Charlie 8 yo Wheaton/X rescue
Lucky 5 yo Dachsund/Beagle/X rescue
Yva Luna von Orumhaus 14 wk AMAZING GSD

Caesar von Kittyhawk (heart dog #1) 1999-2004
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hano vom Lundborg-Land 2001-2005
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesars Mom View Post
Before you teach sit and come, start the LOOK AT ME "command". Train your puppy to pay attention to you and training sit and stay will be MUCH easier to train. Find your puppy's "gold" treat or toy and use it to reqard every time she focuses on you when you request it.

VERY cute puppy BTW!!!

Thanks for the advice! We're definitely going to try this, because it's been really difficult to get him to pay attention. Thanks
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Crowned Member

Flirt pole is an excellent way to wear out a pup, and do puppy scent boxes or have him hunt for his meal to work his puppy brain.
Does the breeder have a registered name for him? I'd look waaay back in the pedigree for a call name. He's cute and I'll bet he'll be a dark sable when mature. His puppy coat is only going to last a couple more weeks so get lots of pics now!
That woolly baby coat will need to be brushed out or it will get matted, so make sure you use an undercoat rake for the next couple of weeks(month) to keep the new coat healthy.
Congrats on your new addiction!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page