Yet again, another encounter with that WGSD... This one not good. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Yet again, another encounter with that WGSD... This one not good.

To those that have been following the various encounters, I've had yet, another encounter with the WGSD that got Kira as a young pup.

This time, the story is much different than the previous one

Here's the other link to the previous encounter:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-3-mths-2.html

In that case, Kira was with me, and just turned and walked away.

Heres what happened:

I live on waterfront property. For about 5 miles on either side of me, there are 4 or 5 small state-owned parks, with trails and some even have dog runs.

Yesterday, my wife and I took a stroll on one of the nature trails. We had Kira ON LEASH, and were just enjoying some quality time together.

At one point, I strayed away to see what was over some hill, and my wife continued walking with Kira in a different direction.

A few minutes later, I hear my wife screaming, and Kira barking fiercely. I can hear the fear in her voice. I come running over the hill, and I see Kira in front of my wife lunging and barking at the WHITE GERMAN SHEPHERD! The WGSD had come running over, and started barking and was literally circling my wife and Kira. Hackles were up on both dogs. Kira was livid. My wife was frozen, and scared out of her wits. She did not know what to do, and was visibly shaken. I get to them, and get between everybody, when the owner finally comes running over.
The guy had a smile on his face!!!!

He grabbed his dog.

I won't get into what was said, but I need to do something about the fact that he's endangering the safety of my family, and my dog. We keep crossing paths in the same areas. If his dog is leashed, no problem..
This was NOT and off leash park. He was clearly breaking the law.
I spoke to the local park police, and they told me, the police would have to catch him. All they could do, was summons him.... If they caught him.

Just sharing

Last edited by Anthony8858; 04-28-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 06:34 AM
Elite Member

well I am not sure where my reply just went...ugh...so I'll retype it again.

Carry a camera with you at all times. Try to photograph the dog AND the owner, or, even better, video it. You are on public property so you can do this. If your camera has a date stamp (not just in EXIF data) make sure that is on as well. Report the dog EVERY SINGLE TIME you have an encounter. That way if anything does happen (and of course I hope that it will not) you will have a record of each prior encounter. In my state, the general public is allowed a copy of the first page of each incident report. I'm not sure what it is in your state, but ASK. And if you have NOT made a formal complaint yet, do so, and make sure to mention the past incidents. Good luck.

Kaiser ~ Jan 25, 2012 (GSD)
Dakota ~ Oct 2005 (GSD/Collie)
Mya ~ Dec 2013 (GSD)
JOIN MYA AS A SDiT...We would love your support!...at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 06:46 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I know others have had similar experiences. Can you contact them - maybe collectively go to the authorities?

I agree with getting pictures. I would also check the laws and carry whatever is legal to protect yourself. At the very least the dog may thing twice if it gets a big face full of bear spray.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 07:06 AM
Elite Member

remember too, that whatever you spray the dog with you will likely get a face full of as well (depending on what you use, spray vs foam, and how the wind is blowing). Not to deter you, because I do recommend protecting yourself! But just an FYI so you aren't taken by surprise if it does happen.

Kaiser ~ Jan 25, 2012 (GSD)
Dakota ~ Oct 2005 (GSD/Collie)
Mya ~ Dec 2013 (GSD)
JOIN MYA AS A SDiT...We would love your support!...at:
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 07:20 AM
Elite Member

Did you ask the officer what was legal to use in defense of your family and dog from an off leash aggressive dog who has previously injured your dog?

-Cassie
Shenzi the GSD

Scruffy "To live in the hearts we leave behind is not to die.-Thomas Campbell"

Zira “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” -J.K Rowling
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Conspiracy theory here....

I wonder if the owner is setting this up? Some like to see their dog fight, maybe he wants to see how well his would do in one. Considering Kira is still really a pup, I'm stretching that, but...

Until you have protection - mace, bear spray AND a bat-like stick, don't walk the trails. Your wife has to understand she may have to step in and use one instead of freezing up.

Get Kira back out today, not the trails, but socializing. I would try to avoid letting her get into the puppy play she has been doing recently for a few days until her hormone/adrenaline levels settle down.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenzisMom View Post
Did you ask the officer what was legal to use in defense of your family and dog from an off leash aggressive dog who has previously injured your dog?
I did mention batting the dog down, and his response was that the owner needs to be dealt with, not the dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyla View Post
Conspiracy theory here....

I wonder if the owner is setting this up? Some like to see their dog fight, maybe he wants to see how well his would do in one. Considering Kira is still really a pup, I'm stretching that, but...

Until you have protection - mace, bear spray AND a bat-like stick, don't walk the trails. Your wife has to understand she may have to step in and use one instead of freezing up.

Get Kira back out today, not the trails, but socializing. I would try to avoid letting her get into the puppy play she has been doing recently for a few days until her hormone/adrenaline levels settle down.
Kira's fine. We ended up spending the rest of the day out with her.
About 2 hours later, we went to my daughter's girl scout meeting, and Kira sat, while all the girls petted her, and hugged her, etc...

Then about 7 pm, we met with her Golden friend, and they played for about half hour.

Kira's gotten very resilient. Not much rattles her these days. Unless you want to call her reaction rattling, of course. I'll dismiss her action as nothing more than feeding off my wife's fear and emotion. I don't get that reaction when I'm with her. I wish I could have videod what took place. It was weird. That dog was circling hacks up and barking as if he wanted to get to my wife, and not Kira. Kira was circling with it, as if to create a perimeter around my wife.

If that dog wanted Kira, he could have gotten her.

Do I think it's a conspiracy? No, I don't. The area I live in has a high concentration of dogs, and park trails. It's very common to see the same dogs and owners throughout the area.

The irony of all this?...... After everything was said and done, we all walked away. We must have been a couple hundred feet away, and I turn and see his dog off the leash again.

The owner of this dog apparently has no regard whatsoever.

Last edited by Anthony8858; 04-28-2012 at 08:25 AM.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post
I did mention batting the dog down, and his response was that the owner needs to be dealt with, not the dog.

The owner of this dog apparently has no regard whatsoever.

I would have nicely asked him to do his job and deal with the owner then I would start taking pictures and video anytime that you see this dog and owner out and about without a leash. The only way to protect your family/dog would be not to walk your dog ever again and that is not right nor fair

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 08:34 AM

Did the police at least talk to the guy to remind him of the leash law and the penalty if he is caught not following it?
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 08:41 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post

That is all good and well but if the dog actually does attack I would think you have every right to protect yourself, your wife, your dog.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page