Question about training related to socialization - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 19
Question about training related to socialization

Does better socialization help with obedience when your dog is around other dogs? If that makes sense...

My 8 month old, male, went to the dog park and it was his 3rd time going. He was really distracted from all the dogs and could barley keep focus on me and my commands. If he were to get used to all those distractions, would he start to "ignore" them more often and start paying attention to me?
noblemygsd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Crowned Member
 
llombardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 14,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblemygsd View Post
Does better socialization help with obedience when your dog is around other dogs? If that makes sense...

My 8 month old, male, went to the dog park and it was his 3rd time going. He was really distracted from all the dogs and could barley keep focus on me and my commands. If he were to get used to all those distractions, would he start to "ignore" them more often and start paying attention to me?

I don't know if a dog park would be the ideal setting for a dog that doesn't have previous obedience training. I would start out slow, like in your own home or yard, maybe join a class(this will be the start of socialization/training with other dogs around) and as the focus turns more to you open him up to other places. I won't even consider taking my 7.5 female to a dog park and she does have lots of training behind her, she just plays to rough.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
llombardo is offline  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Elite Member
 
Falkosmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,105
If you are taking him to a dog park for training, maybe you want to start working him at a distance from the dog park and work your way closer.

If you are taking him there for socialization, why don't you just let him play with the dogs?
Falkosmom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 19
Lol... He is obedient 99% of the time at home and outside. I've taught him the basic commands plus more and he knows what I expect him to do. He just gets distracted when there are other dogs around.
noblemygsd is offline  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkosmom View Post
If you are taking him to a dog park for training, maybe you want to start working him at a distance from the dog park and work your way closer.

If you are taking him there for socialization, why don't you just let him play with the dogs?
I try to make him to simple commands before I let him in the dog park but he just stares at the dogs from a distance and won't focus on me.
noblemygsd is offline  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Elite Member
 
Falkosmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,105
So then you want to train within eye sight of the park and as he becomes conditioned to the distractions, start working him closer over a period of time.
Falkosmom is offline  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 19
But ummm.. Sooo... More socialization is key to better obedience when around other dogs?
noblemygsd is offline  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Crowned Member
 
llombardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 14,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblemygsd View Post
Lol... He is obedient 99% of the time at home and outside. I've taught him the basic commands plus more and he knows what I expect him to do. He just gets distracted when there are other dogs around.

A big part of training and knowing that the training is working is when the dog is obedient with distractions..I think the dog park is to big of a scale, start of smaller with less dogs, less distractions and work your way up.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
llombardo is offline  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Crowned Member
 
llombardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 14,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblemygsd View Post
But ummm.. Sooo... More socialization is key to better obedience when around other dogs?

You can kinda look at it this way. Have you done any obedience classes with him?

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
llombardo is offline  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
You can kinda look at it this way. Have you done any obedience classes with him?
I think classes are just a waste of money... My friend has a Pitbull and he said he had no idea what he was doing at first until he stumbled upon this website and read a philosophy on dog training. Now his Pitbull is 16 months old and 110% obedient at dog parks and everywhere else. And I mean really really obedient, he only listens to the owner and ignores all the dogs around him completely. When he does a command, it's not sloppy. It's like one of those police dogs.
noblemygsd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome