dual purpose? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

dual purpose?

I want to socialize the crap out of my dog starting today. (just got him yesterday) But I also want a dog that's going to protect the wife and kids when I'm at work for extended periods. I got her a shotgun, but when it comes right down to it, I'm not sure she could pull the trigger. So that's where the dog comes in.

So if I really do a good job letting this dog meet everyone, will he keep my family safe at night automatically?

BTW, not looking for an aggressive dog at all. Or a lawsuit waiting to happen. I just want a good dog that won't hesitate to protect it's own. A stand-in for me, if you will. Thanks.

Cummins--Reliable, powerful, and efficient. It gets the job done, and won't let you down. It's there day in and day out. Can provide fun and utility at the same time. It's my dog's name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Crowned Member

GSD's are intimidating looking, so sometimes that alone makes a difference. My belief is that they will protect even if untrained, but some might not agree. I found this article and posted it on two other threads and I'll be darn if it wouldn't be a good start for you too...At the very least socialization helps the alerting process

People often purchase GSDs for their keen watchdog abilites:alerting family members to the presence of danger. The problem is that many owners think that encouraging the dog to bark and lunge at the front door and the fence line will make a more protective dog. Big mistake.
The best watchdog is one who is well-socialized. The reason is simple: A socialized GSD can recognize friend from foe; an unsocialized GSD can't, she explains If your grandmother rings the bell, the dog who isn't people friendly will alert in the same manner as when a shifty character is lurking in your hedge. "Everyone is suspect." Additionally, if your dog is antisocial, you'll need to crate her when friends come over because your GSD will not tolerate any visitors.
So if you want an accurate alarm system, buy a mechanized one and have it installed. If you want a great dog who will alert you to someone strange coming on your property, take the time to teach your GSD that people are generally good and come bearing treats. Rest assured that the well-socialized dog--and only the well-socialized dog--will easily be able to read a person's bad intentions, and the dog will alert you.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Unless a dog is specifically trained for protection work (which means you and your wife would have to maintain this training) AND has the temperament for it, it is likely you wind up with something more of a liabilty than an asset.

Socialize the dickens out of the dog, make sure he is friendly and he will STILL be an awesome deterrent. Bottom line if a bad guy has a gun or a knife, is prepared and has intent, a dog is not much good. Plus after he kills the dog he will be all ramped up on adrenaline. However, most folks here the big dog barking and choose to go elsewhere. For the police I think the main value is knocking a running suspect off his feet - then the police can deal with the suspect not the dog.

In terms of a gun, if I used one, it would be a 12 guage shotgun and I think any criminal would think twice staring down the barrel of such a gun. But what is going to happen if the dog is in the way? Get your wife some classes - I think if she thinks your children are in danger you might just be surprised at what she can do.

Dual purpose usually refers to a police dog typically trained in apprehension and narcotics but can be other multiple disciplines.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Geez, that makes perfect sense!! Thanks for the info!

Cummins--Reliable, powerful, and efficient. It gets the job done, and won't let you down. It's there day in and day out. Can provide fun and utility at the same time. It's my dog's name.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Unless a dog is specifically trained for protection work (which means you and your wife would have to maintain this training) AND has the temperament for it, it is likely you wind up with something more of a liabilty than an asset.

Socialize the dickens out of the dog, make sure he is friendly and he will STILL be an awesome deterrent. Bottom line if a bad guy has a gun or a knife, is prepared and has intent, a dog is not much good. Plus after he kills the dog he will be all ramped up on adrenaline. However, most folks here the big dog barking and choose to go elsewhere. For the police I think the main value is knocking a running suspect off his feet - then the police can deal with the suspect not the dog.

In terms of a gun, if I used one, it would be a 12 guage shotgun and I think any criminal would think twice staring down the barrel of such a gun. But what is going to happen if the dog is in the way? Get your wife some classes - I think if she thinks your children are in danger you might just be surprised at what she can do.

Dual purpose usually refers to a police dog typically trained in apprehension and narcotics but can be other multiple disciplines.
Lot's of good points in there. I got her a 12 ga. And you're right about the "mama lion" instinct. I just hope it's there when she needs it. I actually got the shotgun so if an intruder comes in, she can cycle the action loudly and hopefully he'll get the hint and run away and they won't have to come face to face at all!!

Sorry, didn't know about the dual purpose thing. And thank you for the reply.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Like the name. Had a friend whose dog was named Diesel and had another dog named Turbo.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by God prefers Diesels View Post
Lot's of good points in there. I got her a 12 ga. And you're right about the "mama lion" instinct. I just hope it's there when she needs it. I actually got the shotgun so if an intruder comes in, she can cycle the action loudly and hopefully he'll get the hint and run away and they won't have to come face to face at all!!

Sorry, didn't know about the dual purpose thing. And thank you for the reply.
Just a thought for you about the racking of a shotgun. There is alot of debate on the gun forums that I frequent about the validity of the claim that cycling the shotgun will deter a burglar/intruder. I'm on the side that believes that it wouldn't have any effect.

If a person is already inside your house, they've committed to committing a crime and most likely (at least where I live) they're high on meth/crack/whatever is the flavor of the day for them.

By leaving the shotgun loaded, or even unloaded and having to cycle the action in the event of a crime, you run into several scenarios:

1) You give time for the criminal to get to you, google the Tueller Drill.
"The Tueller Drill is a self defense training exercise to prepare
against a short-range knife attack when armed only with a
holstered handgun. Sergeant Dennis Tueller, of the Salt Lake
City, Utah Police Department wondered how quickly an attacker
with a knife could cover 21 feet (6.4 m), so he timed volunteers as
they raced to stab the target. He determined that it could be
done in 1.5 seconds."
2) You give away any tactical advantage. The intruder now knows
where you are, and if anything, knows you are armed, and if he is
also, will probably respond with lethal force in order to save
themselves if needed.
3) Your wife shortshucks the action causing a jam...now you have a
club in the shape of a shotgun. Make sure she gets lots and lots
of practice, too many times I've seen people who buy a gun,
shoot it once and call it good. In the event of a jam or failure,
they have no idea what to do. Practice, practice, practice, even
if it's unloaded.

In the end, it is up to you and your wife to decide how you want to handle your home defense scenario, but for me personally, all guns in my home are ready to go if needed (Fortunately we don't have kids). Do make sure you have a plan, determine chokepoints in your home, hallways, stairs, etc. that can be easily defended.

Ravel Vom Leineholz aka Tank (9/8/2011)
"You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one."
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Banned

This is why I switched from a semi-automatic to a Ruger .38 special for personal/concealed carry.
Our dog's name is now Ruger, too

Quote:
3) Your wife shortshucks the action causing a jam...now you have a
club in the shape of a shotgun. Make sure she gets lots and lots
of practice, too many times I've seen people who buy a gun,
shoot it once and call it good. In the event of a jam or failure,
they have no idea what to do. Practice, practice, practice, even
if it's unloaded.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
This is why I switched from a semi-automatic to a Ruger .38 special for personal/concealed carry.
Our dog's name is now Ruger, too
Good choice! Trying to convince my wife to trade in her LCP for an LCR...but she is pretty happy with the LCP so far.

Ravel Vom Leineholz aka Tank (9/8/2011)
"You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one."
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Geez, I never thought about it like that. She's practice a lot with the Sig .22, but never shot the shotgun yet. No time like the present.

We live in a fairly nice part of town, but you never know. That's my thinking on the matter. Excellent info BTW!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page