How should I prepare my puppy for storms/loud noises? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

How should I prepare my puppy for storms/loud noises?

Hey guys,

I've just been having a think about how when I was growing up, my family dogs were extremely afraid of thunder storms. I had no real say in their upbringing and training so I'm not sure what was done to cause this.

I really want my pup to grow up to be a confident and stable dog. What would you advise is the best way to go about ensuring that she doesn't get spooked by thunderstorms or other inevitable loud noises (possums running on tin roof etc)? I'm not really sure how to approach this due to their random nature.

Do I comfort her? And if so, to what point? I don't want her to rely on me for safety, I want her to react as little as possible. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 06:11 AM
Banned

whenever it rained, snowed, high winds, night time i made
sure we went out to walk and train. loud use to create
loud noises. i filled a bucket with tools and i use to
drop them. sometimes i wood take a handfull of siverware
and drop it on the hardwood floor, bang a door, find a construction
sight, walk in center city, ask people to to rev up their motor cycles,
on trash and recycle day be out from with the pup, stump your feet,
have someone stand on one side of a building and you turn the corner
and walk into or close to the person, have the person stand on one side
of the buliding doing jumping jacks or waving their arms or swinging a
towel or news paper and you turn the corner with your pup. when the guys are collecting shopping carts have them circle your pup, stand near a car and have someone blow the horn. anything can be a distraction
use your imagination for the noise part.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 06:15 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Don't comfort her; just ingore it. Always work with her at her comfort level. That is doin't force her to stay with a loud noise if it is troubling her but encourage her gently to go ner it and reward her when she does.

But the propensity to be scared of loud noises is genetic and while you can condition and desensitize them to the common ones, like lighting and gunshot, they will always have issues with new ones if they are "wired" that way.

I think the best thing you can do is expose the puppy to as broad a selection of things and noises and sights and surfaces while a young puppy so their viewpoint of the world is that all is good, buy a dog with known genetics, ensure any puppy you select has normal responses to strange things, then work with what you have when you get it.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Crowned Member

We just had a real bad thunder/lightning storm here a couple days, really the first one that would be considered very loud or colorful since I've had my puppy and I found myself outside in the middle of it We played, we walked, I got soaked, etc...When we came in she planted herself by the window and just watched outside and never jumped or anything when the big thunder came. When she looked at me I asked her"What was that?" and she continued to look outside in true amazement

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 07:43 AM
Master Member

I play fetch and other games during the first couple thunderstorms. The dog is usually so excited to play that they forget about the storm. Obviously, don't go out if the storm is throwing grounders and keep safety in mind. If you have a covered porch you can sit under that. Don't comfort you pup if it shows fear of the storm as that just reinforces the behavior. Thunderstorms aren't just noise but pressure systems and a buildup of electric particles. Even humans can sense when a storm is coming. Main thing is to treat the storm as if it is nothing different, your pup will follow your lead and soon realize there is nothing to worry about.

Freyja GSD- 6/21/10
Angus GSD-02/11/07
Bevin (princess kitty) 08/27/07
Porsche: kitty 7/2012

Teddy (collie)- 1990-09/13/2006
Franklin (collie) 1996-06/26/2006
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 12:25 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to NaMeTaKeN33
I'm going to have to steal some pointers from this thread. My GSD has been afraid of storms since I got her. I'll make note to go out and play a little bit of fetch during the next couple to see if that helps. Thanks.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 01:06 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I think the best thing you can do is expose the puppy to as broad a selection of things and noises and sights and surfaces while a young puppy so their viewpoint of the world is that all is good, buy a dog with known genetics, ensure any puppy you select has normal responses to strange things, then work with what you have when you get it.
We very rarely have thunderstorms here, but we had a big one one evening last week. The first boom was so loud that it sounded like it was a direct hit to our house, and it rumbled for several seconds, and then the power went out so everything went dark. The rest of the evening we saw flashes of lighting and heard more thunder. Keefer didn't react at all, but he's 6-1/2 years old and has been around for enough 4th of July fireworks that sudden loud noises are no big deal. Halo barked the first couple of times, but when we didn't react (actually I laughed at her, lol!) she stopped. She'll usually bark at the first few fireworks too and then stop.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 01:14 PM
Elite Member

Being sound sure is genetic. Something working line breeders, breed for, as there is a gun fired during schutzhund trial. Part of the test in schutzhund and breed survey actually. Last year during 4th fireworks, my friends dog took off. We had to chase after her in a car to get her. Later that night, I was at the same party with my dog. I had to keep her from trying to chase the fireworks. The question was asked "how come she isnt afraid?" My reply, "GENETICS".

Dawn Brogan

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm going to make myself as prepared as I can the first few times we experience storms
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:23 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnandjr View Post
Being sound sure is genetic. Something working line breeders, breed for, as there is a gun fired during schutzhund trial. Part of the test in schutzhund and breed survey actually. Last year during 4th fireworks, my friends dog took off. We had to chase after her in a car to get her. Later that night, I was at the same party with my dog. I had to keep her from trying to chase the fireworks. The question was asked "how come she isnt afraid?" My reply, "GENETICS".
When you say breed survey, do you mean for showlines as well? Just curious if West German showlines are bred with these genetics in mind as well. I currently own WLs and am considering adding a SL down the road but I have low tolerance to a sound fearful dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page