Greeting children - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Greeting children

I can honestly say that I'm out in public (with Kira) every day. if not a local park, it's a trip with the family to the ice cream parlor, etc..

The last few days, we'd be sitting outside on a park bench, or wherever, when a family with small children would approach and ask if it was OK to pet her.

If Kira is sitting or standing, she goes into a down position to allow the small child to pet her. She'll just stay there, until the child is done, and they walk away. Then she'll get up and get back to where she was prior.

She's been doing this every time a small child comes near to greet her.

I didn't teach her this. Is this common behavior for a young, balanced GS?

Do you agree with her way of greeting children?

Last edited by Anthony8858; 04-15-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post
I can honestly say that I'm out in public (with Kira) every day. if not a local park, it's a trip with the family to the ice cream parlor, etc..

The last few days, we'd be sitting outside on a park bench, or wherever, when a family with small children would approach and ask if it was OK to pet her.

If Kira is sitting or standing, she goes into a down position to allow the small child to pet her. She'll just stay there, until the child is done, and they walk away. Then she'll get up and get back to where she was prior.

She's been doing this every time a small child comes near to greet her.

I didn't teach her this. Is this common behavior for a young, balanced GS?

Do you agree with her way of greeting children?
That is the perfect way to greet anyone..Kids in my home(nieces/nephews)my dog is still a little high strung and tries jumping on them, kissing them-well the kissing part isn't bad but when the kids pull their heads back she air snaps and it scares them because they think she wants to eat them-she does calm down and we are constantly putting her in a sit and not allowing this...when out and about...if a kid comes close enough, she is usually eye level with them and she goes to kiss them right away--she favors kids and loves them I have been putting her in a sit position for what seems like forever I can't wait for her to do it on her own It is a work in progress and you are very lucky!!

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
That is the perfect way to greet anyone..Kids in my home(nieces/nephews)my dog is still a little high strung and tries jumping on them, kissing them-well the kissing part isn't bad but when the kids pull their heads back she air snaps and it scares them because they think she wants to eat them-she does calm down and we are constantly putting her in a sit and not allowing this...when out and about...if a kid comes close enough, she is usually eye level with them and she goes to kiss them right away--she favors kids and loves them I have been putting her in a sit position for what seems like forever I can't wait for her to do it on her own It is a work in progress and you are very lucky!!
Haha, I had a good visual on his behavior.

If I have to think back on how this started, I'd have to guess that when we were in a situation where children wanted to greet her, I would always give the child a small treat to give to her. In most cases, the child would get nervous, and just drop the treat on the floor in front of Kira.

She would go down to get it, and just stay there.

My guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 09:02 AM
Elite Member

Knuckles is the same way... he loves kids. He whines and cry when we walk past the daycare in our neighborhood. When there is a kid by him, he is on his BEST behavior and is so gentle with them. I think it's because the children are their size, or smaller, I don't know.
Yesterday we were by a neighbor who has a Great Dane and also a 4 year old boy. Knuckles & Bella would be playing rough, but as soon as Knuckles got near the little boy he would slow down into a walk until he passed him. It was the funniest thing.

- Berleen -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Knuckles - born 8/21/11 - my big knucklehead
and can't forget Saki; the Golden Retriever, Born 11/07/07
The felines that rule the house - Oliver, Serena, Sakura & Bastian.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Haha, I had a good visual on his behavior.

If I have to think back on how this started, I'd have to guess that when we were in a situation where children wanted to greet her, I would always give the child a small treat to give to her. In most cases, the child would get nervous, and just drop the treat on the floor in front of Kira.

She would go down to get it, and just stay there.

My guess.
Why is it that no matter how we tell the kids to give the treat they just drop it-even if they are around the dog all the time? I think most dogs have a good sense about kids and if they around them enough, they learn how to behave.

Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Why is it that no matter how we tell the kids to give the treat they just drop it-even if they are around the dog all the time? I think most dogs have a good sense about kids and if they around them enough, they learn how to behave.
Respect for those "white fangs"
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Respect for those "white fangs"
Oddly enough they are smarter then most adults

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Crowned Member

Anthony I just noticed your new avatar -- wow , who is the photographer and arranger -- that could easily be the cover of a book -- gorgeous
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
Anthony I just noticed your new avatar -- wow , who is the photographer and arranger -- that could easily be the cover of a book -- gorgeous
Aww, thank you.....

"Me, and me"

Photography has been my passion for over 30 years. I wish photoshop was around when I was a professional 25 years ago
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 11:14 AM

Sorry if I sound a bit stupid, but when you say 'down' do you mean laying down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page