Undercoat With Coaties - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Undercoat With Coaties

So, Viking is supposed to have a long stock coat. The breeder described it as "plush" once when he was a baby and said he should have a normal undercoat.

He's almost 5 months, but I see no sign of undercoat. Then again I'm not entirely sure what to look for. I don't see any white down fur under his blanket back. His hair isn't super long, it's just really fluffy. It looks like there could be a little white soft fur layer around his stomach, but I can't really tell. Any ideas of what I should look for?

I won't be bothered if it doesn't come in, I'm just trying to watch for signs of it if it does so I can estimate when he'll start to blow it.

Viking vom Zeder-Kamme (11/19/2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Crowned Member

Stosh is long coated and he doesn't really have an undercoat and never did- everywhere is just a long coat. He does have lots of fluff on his feet and ears but nothing that could be considered a double or under coat. He does have a heavy coat on his bottom left over from winter but that's in the process of shedding out. He's two years old so I doubt there will be any changes.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Crowned Member

Annie was three years old before she had all of her undercoat. When it first started coming in it was mostly on her back legs and hips. Now it's everywhere it should be in addition to being in my car, on the floor, on my clothes.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 08:48 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

He's still probably wearing his puppy coat. Soon you'll start to see longer and maybe shinier hair come in down his back, and it will start to spread over the rest of his body.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Crowned Member

See Stosh hardly sheds at all- I mean I can use a slicker brush and get some out but that's it. He does have a heavier coat on the back of his legs like Annie. But he's just turned 2 yrs old so maybe he has another winter to grow and undercoat. And we live in TX so he may not need one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page