Dog Reaction - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Dog Reaction

FINALLY got that video... though it's not the best.

I never know when the neighbor's dog is going to come out/around and I haven't seen him for weeks until yesterday.

We were running around the backyard when he started barking, hackles went up, and off he ran to the fence (which meant Butch was there). I of course wasn't ready for it, had stuff in my hands too (treats, leash, phone), and I was smoking .

Anyway, here is Tyde with SOME reacting to the neighbor's dog. (There was a discussion a while ago about whether or not he was reacting in a bad way or an ok way... if he wanted to fight or play... or something). Said I would try to video it so maybe some could help with the determination.

He "reacted" when he first saw him, and this is kind of past his reaction when he had already gotten to the fence. When he first sees Butch he BARKS, runs up, with hackles standing STRAIGHT UP, by the time I got my phone unlocked and recording video, his hackles were mostly down...

Anyway... question remains... is his stance, posture, behavior, one of a dog that is having a bad reaction, or just a pup that wants to play?

Jeven's Tyde
Born 12/15/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 09:32 AM

The reaction in that video is an invitation to play. It's excitement.

Jamie

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Yay!!!!!

Haha.

I had that feeling, but I didn't want to just "assume" he didn't want to attack/fight/be aggressive, with another dog.

Jeven's Tyde
Born 12/15/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Oh... and I have to add a "proud" moment too.

After Butch walked away, I said "Tyde Come!" (I was only standing about 5 ft away) to which he instantly came to me and "looked" (I only give him treats when he makes eye contact with me).

So proud of him.

He has gotten SOOOOOOO much better with "IN" (what I say when I want him to go inside)... before, I would have to either take him out on the leash or leash him up to get him inside. Now 7.5 out of 10 times he will go IN when told.

I CAN'T WAIT for next week when we start classes. So exciting!

Jeven's Tyde
Born 12/15/11
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Banned

Your dog wants to play. The neighbor's dog must be older -he's giving signals like "watch yourself, pup!" Not out-and-out aggressive but definitely not going to put up with a bunch of puppy antics should they interact.
That said, I wouldn't be too worried if they had no fence separating them.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

He is definitely older. Very old by the looks of him, and the way he moves. He'll sniff at Tyde, but will then walk off and mark something.

I'm just glad the barking/stance/posture isn't something I need to be overly worried about.

We start classes next week and I was a little worried about him reacting to the other dogs in an aggressive way. Not that I think he's an aggressive dog... because I don't. I actually feel he's very much the opposite. But I'm inexperienced and wanted more knowledged opinions.

I do understand that just because he's not seemingly aggressive with the neighbor's dog or his Boxer friends, it doesn't mean there's no possibility he won't react badly in class... I just feel better knowing he shouldn't, or the chances are lower, or something.

I LOVE this dog. I have worried at times because I wasn't as knowledged as I should have been about GSD's before bringing him home. But so far, he's just plain wonderful and I couldn't be more proud. (If only I could get my son to behave as well as my pup... LOL).

And I think he's beautiful.

I was looking over his "pedigree" and saw that his great-grandpa on his dad's side had the OFA things listed... but he's the only one.

Is there a way to get him OFA'd or whatever it would be called? Not because I want to breed him, because I don't. I am just curious. I don't know much about it, but would like to know if there is something they can check for so I'll know if there are worries or things I should to preventively, etc.

Jeven's Tyde
Born 12/15/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page