Refresher course in puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Refresher course in puppy

OK....it seems that I have forgotten a lot about what Kaos' early years were like. So I have a few questions about Sherman to make sure I am handling it all correctly.....and welcome any reminders

1) When will his head be full grown? Not a huge deal, but he just turned 1 yr and he has such a "dink" head.....can't remember if it grows after a year old.

2) He doesn't know a stranger. We have taken him EVERYWHERE, same reaction always as soon as people start getting close, he sits and wags his tail "viciously) waiting for them to pet him. Only one problem, he likes it a bit too much. As soon as they are petting him he lays down for a belly rub. Most people think that's cute....I don't. He is over 100 lbs, so he rolls over, bumps them with his feet, etc. I don't want to discourage his "love" of people, so I'm hesitant to correct him....but I'd like him to just sit for a pet. What would you do? Does he just need more time to grow up?

3) He has just started to go to the window and let out one bark if he see's something outside. He will let out one of his big boy barks as we call it and then come over to look at me and make sure I heard him. If he continues to alert at that level....I'm ok with that...how do I keep him from turning into one of those dogs that barks ferociously every time the wind blows past their window?

4) His "best friend" is a Basset Hound who belongs to a friend. We are actually dog sitting this weekend. They play great and "hard" outside, but both automatically settle down back in the house. They've played numerous times, always have a great time. We've never had him overnight...any tips or pointers for keeping him for 4 days? He's also 1 yr old.

Also to add we have exposed him to everything we possibly could. ie parades, car washes, kid parties, crutches, construction work sites, balloons popping, track meets, hotels, elevators etc. He doesn't show a reaction to ANYTHING. Either ignores it or sniffs it and moves on....will he always be so laid back?? I hope so

Thanks for any help.....I am drawing blanks on K's training process....even then they are such completely different dogs.

Candice
Mr Sherman Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Everyday brings a new challenge

Kaos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mysweetkaos; 04-03-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 08:49 AM

I only have an answer for #2, and that is - 1yr is still young isn't it? He's still a baby, even if he's big. when he goes through his "I'm a rebel stage" that'll probs calm down, and he wont care as much for strangers.

~ Alana

Puppy Loves:
Simba - December 16th, 2011
Bingo - March 16th, 2004
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337f0x View Post
I only have an answer for #2, and that is - 1yr is still young isn't it? He's still a baby, even if he's big. when he goes through his "I'm a rebel stage" that'll probs calm down, and he wont care as much for strangers.
He already had his "teenage" stage. To clarify though I love that he loves people....I want that to stay and I don't mind the anticipating a pet by sitting....it's just the rolling over for a belly rub that I would like to tone down.

Also wanted to add....he is 1/2 GSD, 1/2 English Mastiff I don't want anyone worrying about a 100 lb, 1 yr GSD

Candice
Mr Sherman Tank

Kaos

Last edited by mysweetkaos; 04-03-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 08:59 AM

That has something to do with the people's reactions too, no? If they're excited, he'll be excited and roll over for a belly rub - that's how it works with my two dogs anyway. I can't think of a way for him to tone down though - perhaps some advanced training classes? (assuming he's already done some other training) - those are fun, not to mention maybe he'll learn to tone down the belly rubbing reaction :P

~ Alana

Puppy Loves:
Bingo - March 16th, 2004
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337f0x View Post
That has something to do with the people's reactions too, no? If they're excited, he'll be excited and roll over for a belly rub - that's how it works with my two dogs anyway. I can't think of a way for him to tone down though - perhaps some advanced training classes? (assuming he's already done some other training) - those are fun, not to mention maybe he'll learn to tone down the belly rubbing reaction :P
He's been through 3 rounds of obedience classes. He does great at them...and for the "stranger approach" he doesn't do it there. To be fair to him though the trainer isn't a "bubbley" person. She does well for teaching....but I take it all with a grain of salt. There have been plenty of situations she's told me I need to give him a "heck" of a correction, that I didn't because I didn't agree with her way of thinking. Does that make sense? This is one of those situations..she's told me to give him a prong correction and put him back in a sit....seems counterproductive to me, so I was hoping for other opinions.

Candice
Mr Sherman Tank

Kaos
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 09:11 AM

I'm the same to be honest lol. My dad and boyfriend say I should correct Simba in better ways, with that type of regard. If he's jumpy and excited, make him calm down, but I'm bubbly myself , I don't agree with certain training methods especially since he loves humans just like your boy does.

I don't want him to think loving humans is a bad thing. Because it's very much a good thing!

~ Alana

Puppy Loves:
Bingo - March 16th, 2004
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 09:42 AM

Zach & Zoey are 16 months now and the last couple of months i see less puppy and more adult dog. Still have a way to go but we have crossed that marker and would say they are more adult than puppy, in looks and attitudes. Guess it really depends on the dog though.

#2 They love a belly rub but they don't do it for strangers. Maybe not have the stranger pay attention to him when they approach. If he's in an upright position pet, if he goes down have them walk away or you turn around and walk away with him.
Couple months ago we were in the pet store and Zach flipped a kid over. they met Zach ate the attention up, Zach put his head down and went between the kids legs then lifted his head up. Kid was laughing when he got up off the floor. My fault totally - but it was funny to watch.

#3 Both, especially Zach let out a couple alert barks if there a dog outside the house, if the doorbell rings - . For now i am aknowledging that i hear him, will "Ok" if he continues i use "Leave it". same concern as you - i'm curious on what other say about this one also.

Tom
Zach / Zoey Nov 13 2010
*RIP Kayla waiting for me at the bridge.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

We are taking him out on errands today. I will work on asking people to ignore or stop petting when he rolls over. Therefore only rewarding and petting the sit.

Candice
Mr Sherman Tank

Kaos
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetkaos View Post
We are taking him out on errands today. I will work on asking people to ignore or stop petting when he rolls over. Therefore only rewarding and petting the sit.
I think this is the best way to do it. Our Krissie had a habit of jumping and we worked hard on only rewarding the sit. Now I need to go back and work it again as she has hit a stage where she doesn't want to behave. Haha.

My Dog: Krissie ~ Beagle Mix Extraordinaire 09/09
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalWacky View Post
I think this is the best way to do it. Our Krissie had a habit of jumping and we worked hard on only rewarding the sit. Now I need to go back and work it again as she has hit a stage where she doesn't want to behave. Haha.
Well I thought asking people to help with stopping petting when he laid down would work.....unfortunately 90% of the people who agreed to help, didn't help at all. Once he laid down, they caved stating "he was so cute, they couldn't ignore him" I said he is cute until he knocks over some little kid by rolling over for a belly rub

Candice
Mr Sherman Tank

Kaos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page