Introducing Rescued Pup to large pack - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Introducing Rescued Pup to large pack

I am in the process of adopting an 8 month old GSD and have some questions about when I bring her home.

On our ranch we have a pack of 8 dogs currently. (6 belong to one family) One is ours & one is another hand's dog. Anyways, should I introduce them to her one at a time? The rescue says she is dog friendly, there is one border collie who is very aggressive (it took almost a year for her to accept our blue heeler). Any other words of wisdom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 11:35 AM
Crowned Member

I personally have never had any major problems with introducing dogs. Lots of people here have used the two week shut down period with success--I have never had to. Its going to depend on the dog...is the new dog aggressive?shy?scared? I have noticed that with all the bigger dogs I have had there was no problems...the smaller dogs seemed to think they were pit bulls and most of them spent a day or so in the crate observing their surroundings...only one continued to give me a problem-a poodle...he didn't like other dogs, hardly tolerated them and even in his new home he is the same way. This is going to really depend on all dogs involved!

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 11:41 AM
Banned

What we do here (and it may not work for you with such a large assortment of dogs) is we bring in the 'newcomer', yes often the dog has spent a few days to a few weeks in a crated environment at the fringes of the pack) on a leash. We then allow polite sniffing but not the whole crowd converging on the new dog.

I would do as you suspected already, and do 1 at a time intros, but keep the new kid on leash so you can rescue his ass if things go south

You could keep the pup crated part of the time, and only out with you at first, too, which would help the other dogs learn his scent and he, theirs, before any nose-to-nose meetings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
What we do here (and it may not work for you with such a large assortment of dogs) is we bring in the 'newcomer', yes often the dog has spent a few days to a few weeks in a crated environment at the fringes of the pack) on a leash. We then allow polite sniffing but not the whole crowd converging on the new dog.

I would do as you suspected already, and do 1 at a time intros, but keep the new kid on leash so you can rescue his ass if things go south

You could keep the pup crated part of the time, and only out with you at first, too, which would help the other dogs learn his scent and he, theirs, before any nose-to-nose meetings.
You've never had no problems with having one on a leash? I find they are more aggressive or fearful if they are on the leash, I usually have them separated by gate and let the sniffing begin Maybe I'll try the leash thing again when I come across the next one

Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

llombardo - Fearless and headstrong is how she was described to me. Vocal around new people. I don't think that is aggression, more just her personality.

msvette2u - Thanks, I will definitely do intros on a leash and have my husband there for back up with the border collie.

Should I bring our other dog with her so the others see that she has already been accepted by her (I have yet to figure out if that is true, we meet next week)?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 11:51 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirlteach View Post
llombardo - Fearless and headstrong is how she was described to me. Vocal around new people. I don't think that is aggression, more just her personality.

msvette2u - Thanks, I will definitely do intros on a leash and have my husband there for back up with the border collie.

Should I bring our other dog with her so the others see that she has already been accepted by her (I have yet to figure out if that is true, we meet next week)?
Fearless and headstrong and vocal?...hey my puppy isn't up for adoption Just kidding My shepherd did/does well with my golden and he's active, but a border collie and a shepherd...may God bless you How much contact will the new dog have with the other dogs, beside your BC?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Sorry for the confusion...Border Collie is definitely not mine. We have a blue heeler right now that is great with the other dogs. The six dogs are my husband's boss's dogs.

They would be in contact on and off throughout the day but never for long. The whole pack is made of many working breeds from a catahoula, border collie, aussies, and our heeler. Very high energy pack, but gets plenty of exercise throughout the day. The boss's kids take them for runs using the four wheeler plus any cattle work we do.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirlteach View Post
Sorry for the confusion...Border Collie is definitely not mine. We have a blue heeler right now that is great with the other dogs. The six dogs are my husband's boss's dogs.

They would be in contact on and off throughout the day but never for long. The whole pack is made of many working breeds from a catahoula, border collie, aussies, and our heeler. Very high energy pack, but gets plenty of exercise throughout the day. The boss's kids take them for runs using the four wheeler plus any cattle work we do.
That was my mistake I just re read that the BC could be a problem. Well I would bring your dog with to meet her, then work from there. Having more then one female dog in any situation can be an issue depending on the dog..I would concentrate on your dog first then work with the BC.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page