My dog is not fearful of some strangers . - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

My dog is not fearful of some strangers .

Here is cookies storie. She came down with parvo at 3 months old and a rescue group took her in. For 1 whole month she was kept pretty much isolated from dogs and other people during that recovery time. We got her when she was 5.5 months and she was great. She loved all dogs and people. I kept socializing her bringing her to places letting her meet people everything was going great. always keeping interaction positive. We never hit her she has never been abused.

Now she is 11 months. She started jumping the fence and had gotten out a few time. Now we have it undercontorl and she no longer gets out. She was out maybe 15-20min one time. I fear some stranger might have done something to her that has triggered this new fear of people. Because nothing we did would have done it. Nothing we have been doing changed. I really think someone scared my dog when she got out. Now she is a different dog. I am so heart broken.

I am getting worried that it could become a problem. I am not happy about this new way she is acting. She seems to be skittish around some people but not everyone. I think if she senses fear she gets scared.

We were out in the meadow on a walk. She approaches a man to sniff. It was fine till as soon as he lowers his hand or trys to make friends and pet her cookie backs up and starts barking acting fearful. I told her No then called her to me got her collar she calmed down. I never rewarded this behavior and did not punish. Then there was another guy with his 2 dogs and cookie ran right up to him and let him pet her right away. She has met this man ONCE before that's it. At the stores she is not fearful. She will let people pet her but acts a bit wary. Never fearful.

I don't know what to do I hope it's a thing she will out grow. What should I do to get her over this? I am thinking give strangers treats to give her. Some how make all people fun and not scary.

Cookie - 8yr GSD mix rescue
Indy - 13 Yr Pom/chi mix
Hazelnut- 1 yr/ old GSD rescue

Last edited by Pepper311; 03-30-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Fear impact period. This sounds like what my dog is dealing with. Anyone have any good advise how to get throw this stage? Did your dog go threw this?

"SECOND FEAR IMPACT PERIOD
(6 to 14 Months)*
This Fear Impact Period, also called the Fear of New Situations Period, is not as well defined as the first. The Second Fear Impact Period corresponds with growth spurts. Hence, it may occur more than once as the dog matures.

What marks the Second Fear Impact Period is a change in the behavior of the now adolescent dog. He may suddenly be reluctant to approach something new, or be frightened of something or someone familiar. When a dog is exhibiting fear or reluctance, he should not be forced into a confrontation, bullied into being brave, or reinforced in his fear through soothing tones and petting. Force can frighten the dog further, and soothing tones only serve to encourage his fear.*

His fear should be handled with patience and kindness. The dog is permitted to work it out for himself without being forced to deal with something he perceives as dangerous. Training during this period puts the dog in a position of success, so his self-confidence will be built up. "

Indy - 13 Yr Pom/chi mix
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 03:51 PM
Master Member

Hi Pepper

It's not easy finding strangers who will give your dog treats. But if you are lucky enough to find some -great - but don't let them give your dog treats from their hands, as it may tempt her to go closer than she's ready for. Just get them to toss them behind her, so she actually has to move away from them to fetch the treats. That way she won't feel pressurised, but will start to feel better about them.

Don't get close enough for strangers to pet her, not until you feel that she's feeling more confident with them.

Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Yeah the treat thing might not work. I am going to try and get cookie together with more confident dogs that love people like my friends. Use the Older wiser dog to help her. My dog meatball that would be good at this can't walk far.

But I really want to hear if anyone had to deal with this so called second fear period. What age did it happen? How old did it last?

Indy - 13 Yr Pom/chi mix
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Well since only one person has tried to help I have been doing more research and I will be treating my dog as one that is fearful of all strangers. It's not true she is fine with some people.

The treat idea is a bad one. I don't want strangers giving my dog treats because then she will expect all strangers to give her treats and she will want to meet everyone for food. I just going to keep working on building her confidence when around strangers. I will work from more of a distance and never let my dog run up to strangers. We will build up to that. I am going to see if my other dog loving friends will help me work on this. I have a few friends that she has never met but I know would be great help.

I hope this is just a stage but even so I am going to be very careful not to push her or let her feel threaded. I am going to make sure she sees people as a positive thing not something to fear.

Indy - 13 Yr Pom/chi mix
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Update.

We took cookie to a dog friendly ski resort. Well the upper parking lot is. She was around lots of strangers and new dogs she did great off leash too. Only time she did anything was when a guy kind of teased her but not in a mean way just goofing around. We worked on that and she was fine with the guy. Shortly after. There were other dogs too and she was great with all of them.

So she is great with people uless spooked then she is on guard. Or if I am scared I think she is overly sensitive to my feelings. Because with the guy in the meadow I myself was a little wary of him. This guy today I was a little wary of too because he was big loud had a few beers in him and was about to snowboard past my daughter and I.

So I am not as worried she will be fine I think this is and was a stage. But I will keep socializing her and be positive. I need to really be aware of how I feel during meetings with others dogs and people. Because this dogs knows me better then myself I think.

Indy - 13 Yr Pom/chi mix
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Master Member

Hi Pepper,

I'm so pleased you're figuring this out. Well done.

You are so right about how you feel - the dogs just really sense if you're on edge.

I have to admit I literally used to say to myself, 'keep calm, keep calm, keep the leash loose' with my reactive dog. But, I knew the chances were he would go ballistic, and I wouldn't be able to hold him well. I had to brace myself in preparation for it - and somehow remain calm - no chance.

Once I found a way to hold him, it removed loads of pressure off me - so I did manage to stay calm. It made a world of difference to my dog.

Mind you, it's pretty handy sometimes - let's face it some people do make you feel uncomfortable - if that feeling travels down the leash to your dog - and she barks at them - perhaps that no bad thing - as long as she doesn't actually attack them. Perhaps our dogs trust our instincts more than we do ourselves. And apparently we ought to trust our instincts more.

Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page