Introducing Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Introducing Dogs

Hubby & I would like for Jazmyn to meet my sister's lab mix. Jazmyn is leash reactive, and is much better off-leash than on when it comes to dog introductions. Paisley (the lab mix) is really well behaved off-leash, and is quite playful and energetic (I watched her play well with a 16 week old boxer/lab pup on the weekend).

Is it an okay idea to take both dogs to an area where they can be off leash (open school yard after hours, that is fenced, not a dog park) and do their introduction that way?

I don't want to introduce them on leash (or Jazmyn on leash and Paisley off), as I know right off the bat Jazmyn would be reactive. We want Jazmyn to associate with Paisley in a positive manner, and hopefully she can learn from Paisley that dogs aren't anything to worry about but to be played with.

Lisa
Jazmyn - 11/11/2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Banned

I'm happy that your sister is ok with this because I sure wouldn't be. I would never trust a dog that is "leash reactive" to meet my dog off leash, because if that dog decides to react you now have no way of controlling said dog. If you truly believe that she reacts because of the leash, and your sister is ok with it, then absolutely find an area where they can be off leash together.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 06:34 PM

A neutral area is a great idea for introducing unfamiliar dogs. I would also do the initial introduction between the fence; have one dog inside the enclosure, the other outside the enclosure. If they are both responding with curiosity, then go ahead and do an introduction inside the fence. Have the leashes attached but just drop them. Once you can see that they get along, then undo the leashes. I've dealt with many reactive dogs, and the vast majority were 100% fine off leash with other dogs but proceed cautiously.

Dakota...GSD (10/16/2011)
Boomer...Akbash/Great Pyrenees Mix (9/2008)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Yes, caution will be taken of course. Jazmyn has done well in puppy playtime offered at her training facility. Shea engaged in chase but will bark and she is vocal. She is 20 weeks old.

We have a tennis court near our house and was going to use that as a barrier.

We put off the introduction to next Friday when we're all off and have the whole day to spend without rushing.

Lisa
Jazmyn - 11/11/2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page