Puppy - Obedience - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Puppy - Obedience

Unfortunately, Tyde hasn't gone through the Puppy Class yet, and won't be able to start until Apr 12, when he will be 17 weeks. Most everyone else's pups will be starting Obedience at that time.

He's a bit behind... but it's ok right?

Their Puppy Class age stops at 18 weeks...

I guess I am looking for reassurance that I didn't totally mess him, or his learning, up too much by not getting him in sooner.

Anyone start their pups at later ages in classes? How'd they do? Obviously bigger than most their classmates who are younger, I'm sure... Any intimidating going on? Bullying? Did they behave better, or were easier to train since they were older?

Jeven's Tyde
Born 12/15/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Crowned Member

I think my boy was between 12-14 weeks our first class? I don't remember the youngest or the oldest in class, sometimes it was hard to tell because of the different breeds.

Our class was structured, the puppies did not interact with each other during class, we were working on handler/puppy focus, so there was no bullying. They did after class sometimes offer "puppy playtime" we went once but never went again. I personally didn't see the benefit, some people do and that's fine.

I posted in another thread about my first class because my boy already knew sit, down, come, stay and did so good at home with these commands but around distractions he was a bit wild the first few classes LOL But we both improved and it was SO worth it & very enjoyable. Have fun, go with an open mind. Also other owners really aren't paying attention to you & your dog because they need to worry about their own wiggle worm puppy!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I'm hoping we both do well and learn a lot! Me more than him! I really hope this place is worth it, seems like it will be.

Tyde knows Sit, he was doing that from day one, and we've reinforced what he was doing with "sit" Lol. Anyway, he knows Sit, Down, Stay, Come, and will sometimes do Roll for my daughter's bf (Roll Tyde Roll). When we're outside however, all those go "in" the window. He will listen ocassionally. When we're playing with his ball, he will sit when I tell him to, but his recall is horrible. I am NOT very experienced with training these things, but I do understand the importance of them... (Stay/come).

I had started clicker training him, but have stopped. I was doing it wrong. It's been about 2 weeks since I've used it. The school we're going to uses them, so we will be using them again.

This class offers the after class puppy play. I definitely want to see how he will react with other dogs, other than his friend (boxer). I was discussing on another thread about his reaction to my neighbor's dog.

I wish he could "meet" formally, the neighbor's dog. At most they've been able to sniff eachother's noses for just about 2 secs before the other dog runs off to pee on something. I don't think Tyde likes it. He's never done "sniffing/investigating" the other dog, I think he wants more time, but the other dog doesn't give it to him. So he stands and stares, ignoring EVERYTHING but that other dog - including treats, ocassionally barking, etc.

Jeven's Tyde
Born 12/15/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Banned

my boy was in a puppy class at 10 weeks. OB started
at 4 months old. you don't have to wait for class to start
to start training and socializing. when class starts don't wait
once a week to socialize. set up play groups. teach your dog
how to meet and greet people and other animals on a daily
basis.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 02:39 PM
Crowned Member

[QUOTE=Jeven's Tyde;2441329] This class offers the after class puppy play. I definitely want to see how he will react with other dogs, other than his friend (boxer). I was discussing on another thread about his reaction to my neighbor's dog.QUOTE]

Yeah, check the puppy play time out. We decided to pass just because I had no control over the dogs he came in contact with. There were several different breeds there. There was a puppy & I can't recall the breed but he was so tiny and my boy bulldozed right over him. There was another female GSD there that he played with, but his match play style was a Australian Cattle Dog, this puppy was so cool. Everyone was gasping by the way they were playing, but they were having fun.

Have fun in class!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 03:50 PM

The classes here start at 10 (with mandatory 2nd shots) up to 1 year old. I don't think you started too late. He's still young, all will be absorbed

~ Alana

Puppy Loves:
Simba - December 16th, 2011
Bingo - March 16th, 2004
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Banned

Recall won't be solid for a while...so don't expect him to do it very soon. In the house you are the most exciting thing to him so of course he's going to come to you. Outside of the house, you're probably #50 on the list at this age so don't try recalls unless you have some way to correct and make sure he comes to you. That's usually why in puppy class and beginning obedience all recalls are on leash. If he learns that he doesn't have to come when you say so, he won't do it. It will be an optional thing for him.

I wouldn't worry about class though, the only thing you're missing is socializing and training with distractions. Also the instructor can't correct you on what you might be doing wrong. So as soon as you start, they'll be able to change all that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page