Best way to introduce Kira to a new playmate? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Best way to introduce Kira to a new playmate?

There's a new dog in the neighborhood. She's a beautiful 15 month WGSL. I met the dog and owner while I was without Kira, and the owner is anxious to get the dogs together for some play time.

Kira has her own group of playmates, and she hasn't really had any off leash play time with any new dogs of late.

What is the safest, best approach to introducing two GSD's, especially knowing that Kira is timid, and prone to being dominated?

I'm not sure they'll ever meet, but if we cross paths, and would like the dogs to meet, what's the best way to do this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Banned

Start on leash. Let them smell each other. Take a walk together. If one of them is good off leash, let one off leash. If their behavior is OK then let both off leash. Dogs usually sort things out pretty well on their own. But, obviously, be always prepared to intervene.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

You know some advice I was given too - goes back to Turid Rugaas - dont cinch on the lead and make them meet fact to face. Sideways - butt sniffing - circling loose lead meeting. On loose leads you still have the control if things go south.

Sometimes the girls can be snarky

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Master Member

I've always had the best luck taking them on a walk together before we even let them get too deep into sniffing each other. That way they're more used to each other's presence and there isn't too much intial excitement that can escalate. Also, it gives you a chance to read the dogs a bit and see how they feel about being close to the other dog before they actually interact and there's real potential for an issue. Also, the walk can be short, doesn't have to be a full blown, hour long walk. Usually a few minutes gives you enough time. Just my experience

Brooke

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000

Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007

Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page