Crating and hyper-ness - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Crating and hyper-ness

My 8 month old goes to doggy day care and comes home at 5pm.. He is running and playing all day. and not sleeping.. My first question is : How much sleep does he need? I crate him at nite at around 11pm and he gets up at 7:30am( no problem) and then usually out of the crate till 11pm the next night. When he comes home from day care, he is usally still so hyper and whinny, which drives me crazy. Sometimes, not often, he will just plop down and rest after he eats at 5pm. but usually not. I notice that when he is really annoying me with the whining etc, betw 5 and 11pm. that if I crate him he settles quickly and rests or sleeps. When I open the crate, back to the whinng and my annoyance. So, sometimes I think it's like a baby that cries so much bec they are overtired? Any truth to that? I dont like to crate him betw 5pm and 11pm bec I dont want him to spend all his time crated while at home, but he does settle? any ideas? suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Knighted Member

What kind of doggie day care is it? How big is it? I've seen some that were so small, I wonder how they accomadate larger high energy dogs. GSDs, Vizulas, GSPs, Labs...etc.
Do they do crate rotation? That means the place is small so when the large dogs come out they pull the small dogs and crate or kennel them; and visa versa.

Off hand, I'd try and get a chuck it, a ball, and a fenced area and run that dog. I'd also be doing some serious training to work the brain.
Whining, I don't have that from my GSD, but do with the JRT X. My iPod shuffle is my best friend.
While you are ignoring the whining, put a book or magazine in front of your face. That breaks the attempt on your eye contact, GSDs are famous for circling around in front of you when you turn your back on them.

Gunny GSD & Zoey the Weasel
Sean M. Walsh K-9 Memorial Fund
our goal is to help police agencies establish and maintain a canine team in memory of Sean
Sean's Dogs.com
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 02:38 PM

Daycare tires out some dogs but not all. My guy was always more crazy at night if he was in daycare. If he was with me at work but in a crate and out a few times for walks and training before and after work he was much calmer in the house. It is almost like whatever he practices during the day predicted his behaviour in the evening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page