11 month old no longer wants to meet strangers. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

11 month old no longer wants to meet strangers.

I have a 11 month old shep. She has always been such a love with everyone till this month. She is still good with family and friends. Strangers near the house she is unsure of. Strangers on walks or at the park she will run up to and sniff.

She is still just about bullet proof with all dogs big little aggressive you name it she knows how to act around them and not make anyone mad.

I would say she has become wary of strangers. We had contracts in and out of the house for 2 days. She was good with them sniffed them would want to see what they were doing. But on the second day one of the guys kind of spooked her. He came in the door too fast. So cookie started growling at him and was very standoffish with him. She soon settled down and ignored them. But it was weird I never saw her ever growl at people before.

Nothing has changed we never hit her no strangers have ever hurt her. So I have a feel it's just her growing up into a GSD. She ran up to a lady that lives a few houses down. Cookie ran up stopped 10feet and just stared at her. Cookie just stood with confidence watching her no sound just watching. Soon she went over and sniffed her but was kind of aloof about it.

My husband sees that as her becoming mean. I don't think it's a problem as long as she does let people approach her with out freaking out.

Would more socializing help or is this just how they are?

Cookie - 8yr GSD mix rescue
Indy - 13 Yr Pom/chi mix
Hazelnut- 1 yr/ old GSD rescue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 09:55 PM
Elite Member

Interesting. I don't have any comments as I don't know; but I would like to see what others have to say.

Angela_______________________________
Danny (husband) ~ Samantha (daughter) ~
Rocco (GSD)
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Crowned Member

She's maturing. No longer a goofy puppy and her adult personality is coming out. Sometimes, that's not a good thing. Nothing to do with her breed... just her.

For now on, I'd keep her on leash when she's around people she doesn't know. For her safety and for theirs too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 08:30 AM
Crowned Member

Your puppy sounds perfect, get a standard of what the GS should be and show it to your husband. Underline the word aloof, as this is a trait of the breed. This basically means that things the puppy is familar with, she is comfortable, and things or people she doesn't know she is cautious or even suspicious until confirmed to be alright. GS were not meant to be friends to everyone they meet under all circumstances. There are people breeding dogs like this, but read your standard for the breed and you will see your dog is acting correctly.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
Your puppy sounds perfect, get a standard of what the GS should be and show it to your husband. Underline the word aloof, as this is a trait of the breed. This basically means that things the puppy is familar with, she is comfortable, and things or people she doesn't know she is cautious or even suspicious until confirmed to be alright. GS were not meant to be friends to everyone they meet under all circumstances. There are people breeding dogs like this, but read your standard for the breed and you will see your dog is acting correctly.
Thanks that's what I was thinking. She seems to fit what a shepherd should be in temperament. I will just keep socializing her with different people. I am taking her to the store with me today. Can't hurt to keep her meeting new people.

Indy - 13 Yr Pom/chi mix
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 02:09 PM

I have had the same experience with my dog lately, he's a little more stand offish and very wary of people he doesn't know..He would rather just watch them pass. Or sit and observe them keeping a constant eye on them when they move around.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevastra View Post
I have had the same experience with my dog lately, he's a little more stand offish and very wary of people he doesn't know..He would rather just watch them pass. Or sit and observe them keeping a constant eye on them when they move around.
How old is he?

I just took cookie to 2 stores and she let someone pet her. She would much rather just watch people and sniff them then get pet by them. She was not shy or weird with people at the store. So I am not too worried.

Indy - 13 Yr Pom/chi mix
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Crowned Member

I agree that she's maturing and becoming her own dog, not the whole world's puppy. I regret not paying better attention to Stosh's signals that he did not want every stranger to pet him and I wish I had respected that more and sooner than I did. He's not interested in strangers and has only a small circle of friends that he's nuts over.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper311 View Post
How old is he?

I just took cookie to 2 stores and she let someone pet her. She would much rather just watch people and sniff them then get pet by them. She was not shy or weird with people at the store. So I am not too worried.
He's 5 and a half months..He's not mean or scary by any means. Just not as willing to run over to someone for a pat. Just alot more observant then he was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page