That's why you don't smoke crack! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

That's why you don't smoke crack!

Alright, this isn't GSD socialization, but it was too funny not to share.

My roommate got a Border Collie pup on Saturday, so we've been carrying her everywhere and taking her with us places for socialization in safe ways until she has all her shots.

We were going through the McDonald's drive through today for some food and as we were pulling up to the ordering speaker we see a young woman sitting on a curb at the edge of the parking lot straight ahead, being questioned by two police officers. She was yelling and shaking her head strangely, not making eye contact. Two squad cars made me think something was screwey. So we pull through and get our food, and pull over to park down the way from them while we waited for my SO to come out of the place. (he had to break a bill)

An ambulance pulls up and two EMTs get out in gloves with their right hands on their hip like they have tranquilizers or something. The woman starts to yell as she's walking away towards us. Our windows are down because it's nice (and we wanted to hear) and I'm worried she's going to come at us. She walks in front of our car as the man officer is yelling at her that they aren't done talking and grabs her and arrests her RIGHT in front of our car. Puppy, Emily, and I are just munching on fries and staring at this point. EMT female yells to us that we got dinner and a show, I laugh, they start to all walk away with her as she's screaming gibberish.

Then the male EMT goes "OOOh, a PUPPY!" and stares at Luka in the back window. Great socialization opportunity for her here. I scream across the parking lot that we would love them to come pet her and he literally ran all the way to us. They take off their gloves and start petting and cooing away, and she's loving it. As they're petting the guy goes "That's why you don't smoke crack!" about three times in a sing-song voice, followed by the woman saying "Gotta stay away from that bad stuff!" all to this puppy.

Best socialization experience of my life by far. Can anyone beat it?

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Elite Member

all i have to say is EPIC... i got nothing that can top it :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Mar 19, 2011

Prince vom Gildaf "Charles" August 16, 2012
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Banned

i'll tell you what beats your story by a gazillion
light years. having some compassion for those in need
rather than being entertained. come on DJEtzel you're better
than that, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:15 PM

Awesome story!! I am an EMT and not only do I deal with crap like that all the time, but I totally would have ran to go pet your puppy! Sometimes the best part of a call is seeing the patient's/bystander's pets (or going on calls with the police dogs ). Glad you had a good socialization experience with the EMTs!

Oh, and we don't carry tranquilizers! Although, sometimes I wish we do!!!

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:32 PM
Crowned Member

Been there (on the PD end), done that. That would have been a great chance for the puppy.
I try to save my compassion for the people who have no choice or those who want the help. Hard to have empathy when you deal with the same purple every day.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours faithful and true~ to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. ~unknown
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney View Post
Awesome story!! I am an EMT and not only do I deal with crap like that all the time, but I totally would have ran to go pet your puppy! Sometimes the best part of a call is seeing the patient's/bystander's pets (or going on calls with the police dogs ). Glad you had a good socialization experience with the EMTs!

My K9 partner loved our EMT/medic crews. He liked to lay on the cot when he could
get away with it. Softer then the platform in the squad.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours faithful and true~ to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. ~unknown
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
i'll tell you what beats your story by a gazillion
light years. having some compassion for those in need
rather than being entertained. come on DJEtzel you're better
than that, right?
I don't have any compassion for those that ruin their lives in that way, sorry. No, I'm not a very compassionate person, but I never said I was entertained by her getting arrested or the scene. Only the EMTs socializing with our pup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney View Post

It seemed like a highlight in his day for sure. If you don't carry anything like tranquilizers, do you know what they may have been going for? They literally looked like they were hand-on-pistol, but I KNEW they didn't carry guns. lol.

Danielle, owner of...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassandGunnar View Post
My K9 partner loved our EMT/medic crews. He liked to lay on the cot when he could
get away with it. Softer then the platform in the squad.
LOL. THAT would make a good picture!

Danielle, owner of...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:51 PM
Crowned Member

Dogs and puppies are the best decompressors....I hope the woman can get some help. It is sad that this happens way too often. Too bad she couldn't have petted the pup, it may have changed the whole situation.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Dogs and puppies are the best decompressors....I hope the woman can get some help. It is sad that this happens way too often. Too bad she couldn't have petted the pup, it may have changed the whole situation.
Yes, I wish it hadn't have gone downhill like it did. She really didn't seem that bad off, I'm sure she can get help at this point. Sadly she didn't even notice the puppy. As terrible as it sounds- THAT would have been good socialization for the puppy. We also had her around MANY drunk college kids on St. Patrick's night as her first socialization outing. Talk about tired puppy. We only went out for about 10-15 minutes, but that put her to sleep all night!

Danielle, owner of...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page