Mental exercise/stimulation-suggestions? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Mental exercise/stimulation-suggestions?

Just looking for many different ways to mentally exercise my 6-month old pupperssssss
Simple and more elaborate-all kinds please
Obstacle courses? Make my own? Hide things? But how to get him to find it? What about....? No idea? Any ideas?
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Elite Member

Oh goodness, the only limit is your imagination. You can do a google search for mentally stimulating toys for dogs, learn to to train by shaping, make a flirt pole for your dog, feed meals in Kongs, take your dog to new places with all sorts of new scents and activity, try agility or rally or obedience, all sorts of things.

My Dog: Krissie ~ Beagle Mix Extraordinaire 09/09
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:45 PM
cta
Master Member

"find it" is a fun game, one that my dog happens to enjoy very much. we started when he was a puppy. we would hide a high value toy in the house and ask him to go find it. obviously at first you can put it in a very obvious place so the dog can find it easily. when your dog finds it, shower him/her with praise. as time goes on and you play more you can find more elaborate/more difficult hiding spots. we also play this in the yard with small treats. he genuinely just enjoys these types of activities. we also play hide and seek with him, although now he knows all of our hiding spots. one of us will keep him in a spot so the other can hide. while we are hiding, he is working on waiting patiently...which tires him out A LOT! hmmm what else. recently i bought a lunge whip and tied a toy on the end...instant flirt pole, which he also likes. he also loves to play ball inside the house...outside he could care less, but inside he will play for hours. so we tell him "go long" and he trots to his spot across the room. then he doesn't get the ball until he sits. it makes him think, so again, it tires him out. i mean really, you can do anything!

Chobahn 3/26/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience." -Woodrow Wilson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:48 PM

Oh! I love agility and so does my dog. We have been in training for search and rescue for almost 2 years, that has really been great for both mental and physical exercise. She loves a game of 'hide and seek', as well. I put her in a sit/stay, show her a toy, walk away and hide the toy, return to her and release, she runs full speed to find the toy, she loves this game. Have fun!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Crowned Member

My dog LOVES agility, but she's only 6 months also, so she does small jumps, etc until she is about a year then she will be a big girl and can do more without hurting herself I went and watched a nosework class which was interesting. You just get some smaller boxes, buckets, etc and place them on the floor...maybe 10-15 of them and hide like three to four treats under different boxes and let the dog find them...make sure the dog is not in the area when you are hiding the treats...at first I would use small pieces of hot dog so the dog can smell it and get the hang of it. The dogs in the class seemed to really like it, I'm collecting small boxes now to try it at home

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 02:41 PM

Do some basic tracking. You can lay a simple track with small pieces of turkey hotdogs. Find a field, keep the pup in the house/car, create a starting point with extra pieces, walk (short steps) in a straight line dropping the pieces in every step to start then every other with the end point have a reward of lots of pieces. The distance can be increased and you can add turns to increase the challenge. There are plenty of references to tracking exercises and it is something that dog usually love to do.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

That's a good starter. Thanks witz & everyone else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page