LAT? What is it? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

LAT? What is it?

Is this a good video reference for this training?

Can someone give me an old thread or some advice as to their experience with this type of training?

What do you do if they continue to stare at the object? and not focus back on you? not treat them? what about a delayed back to focus?

and really? how does this method work to prevent disastrous bunny, squirrel and lizard chases?

I've used something similar with my dogs to prevent them from chasing bunnies on our walks. If they see a bunny and ignore it when i say "don't chase" they get rewarded. If they chase it, well I get dragged after which they get e-collared it's to that point no where they ignore the bunny, bird, lizard etc now.

Do you think i should restart my training with LAT? especially while trying to socialize my dogs?

xxxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Master Member

Leslie McDermitt(sp) wrote a book called Controled Unleashed and has some videos that cover LAT. I've just started it with Frank, so I'm not an expert in telling someone how to teach their dog but it has really helped.

frank(Rosehall's Duke of Hearts CD, BN, RN) gsd
indy (Indy Bluestorm CD, GN, RN,CGC) BC
king bc mix
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 09:26 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

You really should read the book and/or buy the DVD so you're sure you understand the game before attempting to train it. The video you linked to explains it pretty well though - it's important to start training in a low distraction environment with a neutral object until it's instinctive for the dog, and then you slowly add distractions. All of this would be done before using it out in the real world, especially around triggers. Once the dog understands the game, and you're playing it at a distance that your dog is under threshold, continuing to stare at the object shouldn't be an issue. It's also important that your dog "gets" marker training, either with a clicker or a verbal marker (usually "yes!"), so they know that the sound of the marker means a reward will follow immediately. So when the dog looks at the trigger and hears the click, they will turn back to you for the treat. If you have to, you can put the treat right up to the dogs nose and lure their head back towards you, but if you need to do that, you're probably working too close to the trigger and should increase distance.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page