Best vacuum advice??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Best vacuum advice???

Every time i turn on the vacuum he goes crazy. Now at 6mos old.
Last time I left the vac out in the middle of the hall way so he can see that it does nothing lol but saw him twice checking it out and barking a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Elite Member

super easy! While vacuum is off walk by it treat dog... keep giving treats next to it then place them ON the vacuum so pup eats them off of it. Then when pup gets comfortable with it move it forward some and treat pup again after the pup could care less about it then turn it on and restart the process.

Jinx vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Great thanks. I will try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 08:42 AM

Yep, treats around the vacuum while it's off...working up to treats while it's on. Worked wonders for Razzle
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Master Member

I agree with the treats idea. When he gets comfortable with it you start treating him while it's on. Go vaccume crazy, and keep treating. Eventually he wont mind the vaccume. I can and do actually vaccume our two. We're working up to the shop vac. I can't wait!

Freyja GSD- 6/21/10
Angus GSD-02/11/07
Bevin (princess kitty) 08/27/07
Porsche: kitty 7/2012

Teddy (collie)- 1990-09/13/2006
Franklin (collie) 1996-06/26/2006
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 10:53 AM

I would also like to add, turning it on for a quick second before going full on. Do that a few times for a few days. Then turn it on for 3 seconds, 10, etc... We did that with our pup. nice and gradual... now she follows us when we vacuum
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 11:27 AM

my pup has similar reaction to the vacuum and hair dryer. With the hair dryer I tried the treat approach, seems to work fine. Now he is actually happy every time I take it out and switch it on, still a bit uneasy if air is directed at him, but I am sure if we keep doing it a little every day soon he won't bother. With the vacuum cleaner I tried a different approach. I already did some basic training with him, so he knows Sit and Stay. So when vacuum is on and he starts barking and jumping, i tell him Sit , Stay, then I give him a treat after 10-15 seconds, then keep vacuming and then treat again if he holds the Stay. He seems to be holding it ok and I think he is sort of relieved that he has something else to do instead of barking at the vacuum I think after few times it will just become natural to sit down somewhere on the side when vacuum is on
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Crowned Member

The vacuum is the only thing my puppy has showed any fear with. She actually went into a frenzy and ran back and forth, finally peeing by the door I now put her in her crate and let her sit next to the vacuum while its on--she is fine in the crate. Eventually I want to be able to vacuum her...my golden loves it..I'll let you know how that turns out.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page