Any thoughts? On being less alert? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Any thoughts? On being less alert?

I know dumb question BUT

I feel bad most times because my pup is always alert when he is resting or wanting to close his eyes. If i move he gets up. A noise he is up. Anything i do wakes him. Follows me everywhere.

I feel bad...but is that why they say they sleep about 16hrs? A day? He is 6 months today.

I suppose I don't want him to be less alert, but I would like him to REST without interruption? Is that weird lol or even possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 12:08 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Give him nap time in his crate - they do need to sleep quite a bit.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Give him nap time in his crate - they do need to sleep quite a bit.
I agree, the crate is a great tool to help them relax. That way they get "puppy time" and you get "mommy or daddy time"

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Well he is not crated anymore. He is more or less "jailed" lol
He hasn't been crated for months. Once he had learned to go out (potty), I stopped crating him. My eyes are always on him so, he has "free reign" as they say. He picks his usual spots and sleeps but is always alert.

When I am away he was confined to those play pens? But I found it a bit small for him even if it was 4-5 hours at a time. So for the last 2-3 months I use the play pen open to section off the kitchen and he stays there when i am out or gets out of hand. But the way he sits he looks sad and in jail lol

Is it bad that I don't crate him? Even at 6mos? I just hate that he is stuck in such a small space...

Even if i gave him nap time, i can't help him from waking up or hearing something...right?

Last edited by Jen&Bear; 03-10-2012 at 01:27 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
I just hate that he is stuck in such a small space...
Can he stand up and turn around in the crate?
When he lays on his side, are his legs all cramped up or does he have some space to move them?

If so then he's not in too small of space.
You never want to feel sorry for a dog for being in a crate. A crate can be a life-saving tool when used properly. When your dog goes to the vet, he's put in a cage the size of a crate, and in some vets, I've seen them use crates for cages.

It's up to you, but we still crate when we're gone because it's so much more than a house-training tool.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Ok
Yea there is plenty of space...i guess the fact that he cannot walk around a few feet or so i think sucks for him that's all

Is the play pen the same idea as a crate? Or not since its not covered or even sturdy without customizing it.

Maybe i should use a crate then...what is he going to do in there??

Last edited by Jen&Bear; 03-10-2012 at 04:20 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Banned

Sleep.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 11:18 AM

My pup is 5.5 month now and he is very alert too (though less now than 2 months ago, he calmed down a lot) and the answer is the crate. The same noises from outside that send him into a barking rage when he is out, do not bother him at all when he is sleeping in the crate. I don't leave him crated for more than 2 hours during the day though, and it's only to sleep. I can really see how much it helps him to settle. Even when we come from a walk and I see him tired and sleepy, he'll keep getting up every time I get up to go somewhere, but if I put him in the crate and "close the curtain" (I have it covered, even the front half way down) he falls asleep. I actually think his nerves are much better now that he gets those sleep breaks during the day. So if you can manage to crate him again - do so, it will help.
My previous dog had completely opposite character and I never crated him and never thought anything good of crates to be honest, but I understand now that every dog is different - and for this one it's a super cozy safe place he can sleep peacefully in.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 12:36 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Jen, you won't have him stuck in a small space for hours at a time when he should be out with you, he already is out with you for most of the day. He will be having a nap in his "den". Completely normal and natural.

You asked how to take off the edge for him so he can sleep - it would be like putting a toddler in their crib so they can nap. Toddlers are a bit the same. If not put down to nap in a quiet area, they will force themselves to stay awake because they don't want to miss anything, and they don't have the ability to self-regulate their energy to calm themselves down and take a nap. Then when they get overtired, they have tantrums and over-the-top, hard to control behaviours. Put a toddler on a schedule, give them regular nap time in a safe, darkened room, and their developmental needs are better addressed, and their behaviour improves.
Same with your puppy - the crate isn't JUST a house-breaking tool, but a safe den where he can let his guard down and get the sleep he needs.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015

Last edited by Castlemaid; 03-11-2012 at 12:39 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Yea makes sense.
I just feel like i am punishing him by "putting him away"...
He does the paws out-chin on the floor-sad eyes look and so of course i feel bad.
Ok so i can try that. Will a play pen give the same effect as a crate? Or no?
Plus, what do you guys do when you leave. Still crate? I guess so...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page