How to build up puppy's confidence. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

How to build up puppy's confidence.

Hello, we have a 7 month old german shepherd named Max who seems to be very nervous around strangers and other dogs. Whenever a stranger approaches him he starts barking and lunging at them. Whenever a friend comes over to our house Max gets extremely defensive and starts barking at them and attempts to bite. This beheviour started at around 3 month of age. He is a pure bred GSD and we got him from a registered breeder who refuses to acknowledge the problem and help us. We hired a good personal trainer who helped us a lot but still the problem exists and we feel lot more work needs to be done. The trainer is sure that the dog is not an aggressive case but rather a nervous puppy and says we need to build up his confidence in order to fix this problem. So i was wondering if anyone knows any good ways or techniques on how to build up dog's confidence?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Master Member

Desensitization - If you put it into the seach bar here, you may find some posts. Otherwise, head over to www.Leerburg.com and put it in the seach bar there, you will get a lot of information to look through.

I found dog sports were great confidence builders once the pup has been desensitized enough to be able to be brought into busier environments. Agility was IMO the best, but tug work, Flyball, Rally-O and tracking are all things I have used to build a dogs confidence.

So did the trainer say "build his confidence", but not give you a "how to"?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Crowned Member

If your pup will play tug with you, that is a great confidence builder. Now that teething is finished it should be great fun for both of you! I'd get a nice french linen tug with two handles for this, and use it while you train him...Michael Ellis has some free video clips, one has the power of tug. There are a few pages on this link of free clips:
Leerburg On Demand | Michael Ellis Videos

I would make sure you don't correct your pup, but redirect the behaviors you don't want. Correcting constantly will not build confidence. Praise the pup whenever you see him doing good behaviors and mark them. Use a clicker w/ treats. Don't take him to places that may be overwhelming, stay on the fringe but still take Max out and about.
Sometimes dogs with timid temperaments won't grow out of that shell. Other times at maturity they are much better, 7 months is an age for fear stages.
When your pup knows you have his back under all circumstances(strong leadership) he will be able to relax and let you take over which is a confidence builder.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 03-07-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: added tug info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Elite Member

Cesar Millan is my favorite professional dog trainer/behaviorist. You can get some ideas from his website or you can send him a messege.
www.cesarsway.com

Usually, when a dog is nervous, he/she doesn't trust his/her owner to handle the situation (whether it would be meeting new people/dogs or moving to an unrecognized lacation). I'm not saying your puppy doesn't trust you.
You may already know this, but when you introduce your puppy to new dogs and people, you need to be calm. Don't get excited, nervous, or angry, this will only cause your dog to feel even more nervous. But like I said before, there is more valuable information on the website I posted.
Good luck!

Brittany

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Lines
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Crowned Member

What did the personal trainer say was the reason for the nervousness? I like to know why before I start a stategy to improve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page