People ask if something's wrong with Kira. Too mellow. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

People ask if something's wrong with Kira. Too mellow.

People (on more than one occasion) have asked if Kira was ok. The past couple weeks, she's been super mellow around strangers.
For example: Today I walked her to the bus stop to wait for my 7 year old. While waiting, a bunch of people walked by, and when the bus pulled up, kids ran past her, and Kira just laid on the ground, and couldn't care less. At one point, a parent asked if her 2 yr old could pet her. I supervised it, and Kira just closed her eyes while this litle guy mushed her head.

I'm not concerned, but at 8 months does this seem typical?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Crowned Member

I have no idea it's typical this is my first experience with a GSD

When my boy was that age he had to be reminded to settle/be easy around kids...he would get so excited when he would see them and his whole body would start to wiggle!

You also have small kids in your home & I'm sure that has helped alot.

Kira sounds like a lovely girl!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Crowned Member

You've put a lot of work into her so enjoy your success! Sounds like she possesses a great deal of self control
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
You've put a lot of work into her so enjoy your success! Sounds like she possesses a great deal of self control
Yes and take credit for excellent training!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I'm not sure how my socialization translated into mellow, but if that's what you say, so be it.
There's a GSD in the neighborhood, maybe 1.5 years, and whenever I see her, her energy level and excitement level seems so much higher.

I'm not concerned.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Banned

Lines and drive have a lot to do with it. Not just her temperament but the rate at which she matures. I've seen puppies just lie there when there are things going on around them. My boy, even though he's gotten much better, is always vigilant, and is always willing to play and he's 1.5 years old. He has a GSD friend that he grew up with in training class, and she is half american/german show line, she is much calmer than he is. On a long down, she will fall asleep, while mine sits in a sphinx position waiting for the next thing to happen.

Its definately part training, but mostly maturity and her general temperament.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
Lines and drive have a lot to do with it. Not just her temperament but the rate at which she matures. I've seen puppies just lie there when there are things going on around them. My boy, even though he's gotten much better, is always vigilant, and is always willing to play and he's 1.5 years old. He has a GSD friend that he grew up with in training class, and she is half american/german show line, she is much calmer than he is. On a long down, she will fall asleep, while mine sits in a sphinx position waiting for the next thing to happen.

Its definately part training, but mostly maturity and her general temperament.
Actually this makes more sense to me than what I posted.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Rua
Master Member

My girl is just over 4 months and she's super mellow too. Granted, she gets excited to see the kids when they come home from school, or my in laws, when they come home (they live next door to us). But overall, she's a relatively mellow dog.

Just last week, I took her to her obedience course and the trainer kept asking me where I got her and making comments about how relaxed she was. She is the youngest in her class - the rest are either adult dogs, or older puppies.
She never barked at anyone for the whole class. She just laid down and observed the chaos going on around us. (A few of the dogs were REALLY loud and a bit out of control because this was all our first class. It didn't phase Juno.)

Obviously temperament has a lot to do with this, but I personally think having young kids in the house potentially knocks a few edges off our dogs from on early age. My four year old son, who is a great kid, but can be a bit intense and in Juno's face some of the time said to me the other day, "Mum, I don't persecute the cat as much anymore since we got Juno."

LOL
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 05:36 PM

well she didn't sound to mellow on that 3 am zoomie thread LOL.. be happy, she sounds like a wonderful girl

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 05:50 PM
Banned

I should mention that my dog's best friend from my previous post also has 4 kids running around the house. So that could possibly be it, plus she's a female and they tend to mature faster (maybe helps to have a pack for the female to watch after).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page