Question About Fear Periods - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Question About Fear Periods

Is a fear period something you can experience with any puppy, including those who turn out to be confident dogs? Or is a fear period something that is more related to dogs who are less confident/shy? Would you be surprised if a confident pup has a fear period & vice versa? Was this common "back in the day"? Is this something that is possibly influenced by genetics?

I was thinking about this because my 10 month old is going through his 1st fear period. Would like to know your thoughts.

Chrissy

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11

Last edited by Verivus; 02-25-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:06 PM
Crowned Member

I am sure your pup has gone through other fear periods but they weren't obvious, probably more on the quirky side I'm guessing. My puppy is a very confident girl and today she decided she was afraid of the same vacuum that she has seen and heard on a daily basis for the last 3 months, but yet she still felt the need to run around the house with her tail down and the final result was her peeing by the door I don't think it has anything to do with what they become or what they are and its common for all puppies to go through.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Knighted Member

Actually he probably went through a first time when he was younger but you probably attributed it to puppiness. It is fairly normal around the time they are loosing their teeth and when they hit adolescence. I remember Raina suddenly decided a big coral rock we have in the yard, which she saw every day of her life, was a big scary monster. She would stand and bark and bark at it, then she walked up to it and realized it was the same old rock and everything was okay after that. And, don't even get me started on the mop. She thought it was fighting with me I guess because she suddenly decided to run from it and slipped on the wet floor and bumped into the table knocking over an unlit candle. Talk about a dog making tracks for the door. It was all I could do to hold my laughter. They go through these stages and slip out of them a few times.

Though Raina had fear stages,there is very little that scares her now and even if something makes her jump she will go and check it out right after that. She is most definitely not shy.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all

Last edited by pyratemom; 02-25-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Finished post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:15 PM

good question! My 1 yr old male is reacting likehe has never done and I do hope he ends up on the other side of this

~Jennifer~

My Zoo
Jake-(GSD/Chow)born 1997
Zoey-(long haired chihuahua) born 2009
Rocky-( GSD) born 2-2011
Spook- resident cat with an attitude
Speedy-other resident cat clown
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

None of my questions are about whether my dog is really having his first fear period at 10 months, but thanks anyway...

Chrissy

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratemom View Post
Actually he probably went through a first time when he was younger but you probably attributed it to puppiness. It is fairly normal around the time they are loosing their teeth and when they hit adolescence. I remember Raina suddenly decided a big coral rock we have in the yard, which she saw every day of her life, was a big scary monster. She would stand and bark and bark at it, then she walked up to it and realized it was the same old rock and everything was okay after that. And, don't even get me started on the mop. She thought it was fighting with me I guess because she suddenly decided to run from it and slipped on the wet floor and bumped into the table knocking over an unlit candle. Talk about a dog making tracks for the door. It was all I could do to hold my laughter. They go through these stages and slip out of them a few times.

Though Raina had fear stages,there is very little that scares her now and even if something makes her jump she will go and check it out right after that. She is most definitely not shy.
Now that is funny....I think the fear periods are just that to us humans...the pups might not think so..Look out for the killer mop, rock, and vaccum

Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:23 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verivus View Post
None of my questions are about whether my dog is really having his first fear period at 10 months, but thanks anyway...
Yes this is true, but the point is that it probably isn't the first time...maybe the first, second, third time it wasn't noticeable. I wouldn't say they are periods, they are more like moments. In saying that then that would mean your dog hasn't changed from any of those situations/moments in the past and will remain confident

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Is a fear period something you can experience with any puppy, including those who turn out to be confident dogs? Or is a fear period something that is more related to dogs who are less confident/shy? Would you be surprised if a confident pup has a fear period & vice versa? Was this common "back in the day"? Is this something that is possibly influenced by genetics?

I was thinking about this because my 10 month old is going through his 1st fear period. Would like to know your thoughts.
To answer these questions more clearly

-Any puppy, any breed will most likely experience fear-I have never had a puppy that didn't and they all turned out to be non skiddish, friendly, and confident dogs.
-Fear might be more related to shy pups or more visible but even the most confident dogs will have a fear..whether its a car driving by, the mop, vaccuum, or the mirror(the mirror is funny) etc
-It wouldn't surprise me that any dog would have a fear period/moment
-I can remember pups from 35 years ago that had fear moments, so yes it happened then too
-Genetics don't have anything to do with a fear period....even people that seem fearless have fears

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:

Okay, here you go. Any puppy can and usually does experience fear stages. it doesn't matter their genetics or breed even. My dog is high drive working lines and fearless but she still went through those stages as a pup. She has impeccable blood lines with all confident dogs, K-9s, Schutzund, etc for relatives. I would not be surprised to find a confident pup still having fear stages as that is exactly what Raina did. I'm not sure if this has always been, but I've seen it in the 40 years or so that I've had dogs of my own. I think the basic drive is influenced by genetics but not fear stages. That being said of course there are breeds that are naturally nervous dogs and it really seems to be mostly in small breeds that I've witnessed it. I hope this answers some of your questions.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page