Frustrating isn't the word. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Frustrating isn't the word.

I didn't know where to put this topic. It's not about the pup but in relation to him, move it if you wish.

There's a girl, who's about 13 that lives at the bottom of my street. Obsessed with every dog that walks past her house, or past her, I mean... obsessed . She'll see me walk past her house with Bear from her bedroom, her bathroom, her kitchen, her living room and will rush [I mean full on rush] towards the dog. After a lovely long walk, where he's perfect to heel she comes out and excites him to the point where I'm holding onto the leader for dear life. So frustrating my heel training being interrupted. Before she manages to touch him I'll say 'I have to go home.' or 'Oh he's rolled in mud.' or 'He's not to well.' Honestly, even if the reasons are true she simply will not listen. I have resorted to the point where I have to say 'HE ATE POO'. That's the only thing that will stop her, literally! Bare in mind she does this to every dog that walks past.

She'll run up to Bear and put her hands around his throat area, and then hug his back, roll on the ground, lie on the ground ( ), shove her face in the dogs face so he licks her, kisses the dog on the mouth. I'm constantly going 'Calm down, stop it, no, pack it in, haway man!' Nothing I say, she will listen to.

The fact is she's already been attacked by a dog, because of these sort of greetings. It grabbed her arm (she was younger yes, but old enough to know) and dragged her across the pavement. Now she's got some nasty scars on her arms because of this. But it's obviously not taught her lesson, it was an accident waiting to happen. She's just been told to keep away from that specific dog. I'd hate to think that could happen to her again, even though she's so unbelievably annoying. Bear reacts the way she wants him to, but it doesn't mean he could go 'ENOUGH' and nip one day.

What the **** should I say to her?! HELP. I don't want her to get bitten by another dog! It's the completely wrong way to greet a dog! I've come to the point where I just might as well say '**** OFF!'. It's for her own safety in the long run, and it's to save my last nerve and stop another dog from gaining a bad reputation. Should I go to her parents and express my concerns? (Mother only, her dad is NOT a nice person)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Crowned Member

Since she has already been attacked and that still doesn't stop her...maybe she is on the slow side or has some kind of mental disability? Either way her parents should not allow this for her safety. I would talk to them.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 07:34 AM

Ok might not make me popular but this is what I would do.

If I saw her coming, I would get in front of my dog, and Tell her (girl) to STOP in rather a loud voice..PUt your hand out using a STOP as well.. If she doesn't I would say, "IF YOU DONT" STOP RIGHT NOW, you will NOT be allowed to touch the dog".

I would honestly be blocking my dog from her...Then in a calm voice, I would ask her to LISTEN TO WHAT you are going to say,,I would then, explain the way one should greet a dog, by FIRST asking the owners permission, etc...

I would take into consideration she may have some type of disability that may make getting thru to her difficult .

If she doesn't want to listen to what you are telling her, then yes I'd speak to her mom about the concerns of her getting bit in the future by ANY dog. I would not take your dog with you when you speak to her mom..

Good luck and I'd keep my cool about it.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys

I can't diagnose but she seems a bit over eager, it's not normal anyway whether she's got a mental disability or not.
Ha. She'll burst into tears with that method Jakoda. Won't stop me from trying, I'd rather her whine about my stern words then the fact she's had her face ripped off by an agitated dog.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 08:33 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
Ok might not make me popular but this is what I would do.

If I saw her coming, I would get in front of my dog, and Tell her (girl) to STOP in rather a loud voice..PUt your hand out using a STOP as well.. If she doesn't I would say, "IF YOU DONT" STOP RIGHT NOW, you will NOT be allowed to touch the dog".

Good luck and I'd keep my cool about it.
If you do not follow this advise and if your dog nips this kid what do you think will happen to your dog?

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
If she doesn't want to stop when you ask her to, and if speaking with her parents doesn't stop it, I would even go so far as to say find another direction to walk your pup.

It would only take one time of your pup being out of sorts, just not feeling good or simply tired of this little girl getting in his face...
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Crowned Member

honestly, I would go talk to her parents. Don't mention about your dog or concern that he will hurt her. But that she runs into the street and all the other things that are going to get her hurt.
Ask them to talk with her. Express everything in concerns for her well-being. That you are afraid that those crazy drivers won't see her and she'll get hit by a car. Fall down the steps and break her arm. Slip on the wet sidewalk and crack her skull.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Master Member

I'd talk to her parents, sounds like she either has some mental disabilties or no disapline at all at home.
I'd explain to her mom that I knew, she had been attacked before and had seen the way she was still greeting dogs, and I was very worried it could happen again.
If you have the time to work with her mom and the girl to teach the girl to approach dogs the right way that could save the girl and another dog owner alot of heartache in the future.
If the parents are not up to helping, I'd walk a different way my dogs future is too important to risk.

frank(Rosehall's Duke of Hearts CD, BN, RN) gsd
indy (Indy Bluestorm CD, GN, RN,CGC) BC
king bc mix
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Elite Member

I'd go with both Diane's answer and talking to the parents.

- Berleen -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Knuckles - born 8/21/11 - my big knucklehead
and can't forget Saki; the Golden Retriever, Born 11/07/07
The felines that rule the house - Oliver, Serena, Sakura & Bastian.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Crowned Member

I would go to the parents too. Sounds like she has a disability of some kind. The parents are probably the best ones to discuss it with her.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page