Jogging Revisited - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Jogging Revisited

All,

Can you help me understand the potential for harm to a growing pup by jogging with him/her too soon? I've read various threads here and most agree that repetive motions on hard surfaces are not good for young joints and should be avoided until the pup is anywhere from 8 - 18 months old. I get that, but my question revolves around what is considered too much repetive motion? Is it any movement regardless of pace, distance or frequency?

Razzle is approaching 8 months old and I am so anxious to have him as my running partner. I'm tempted to take him on shorter runs (3 miles and under) maybe 1 or 2 times a week. I'm a slow jogger (9 - 10 min/mile), so he would really be just walking quickly/trotting slowly. However, I definitely don't want to hurt my baby.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Banned

what's the rush? i wouldn't jog with a dog untill he was 1.5 yrs old. i'm thinking let his muscles and joints develope before jogging. my dog was
1.5 yrs old before we started walking 5 miles at a slow pace. i stopped several times for a break and some water. my dog might not of needed
to stop but i did.

Last edited by doggiedad; 02-15-2012 at 07:41 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Banned

Its less the speed and more the surface your dog is running on. If you can do this on a dirt path it would be better than on pavement. Pavement is pretty much a no-no at all times. Or find a path where you can run on pavement (although thats terrible for human joints too) and your dog can run in the grass. I'm not a vet or anything but my research pointed more towards the surface being bad than the age. I took my dog to the dog park on a regular basis when he was younger and still do, there was no slowing him down there but at least he was running on a softer surface.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Knighted Member

There is so much conflicting advice to be had on this subject. Also on humans, too.

I've been running for 20+ years, have rheumatoid arthritis and my doc says KEEP RUNNING (I also lift weights and have no knee issues, no ITB issues, no hip issues, etc). But all you ever hear is "running is bad for you! It'll ruin your knees!"

I think sometimes we're too careful of pups, in SOME ways. I finally took my pup on a short run (about 2+ miles) after running .25, then .5, of a mile with him. He hikes WAY more than that, and I had a funeral to go to in Montana which would put him in his crate for about 5 hours. He is 8 months old today, and this was about 2 weeks ago. It didn't even faze him. Half of the run is on the sandy, dirt shoulder. The other half is on asphalt. I had to play ball with him when we were done, even.

I would for sure start slow, be prepared to stop and walk if the dog shows signs of not enjoying it or needing to, and mind the weather. I never run during the day if the temp is over 70-75 (we don't have much of that weather here, unfortunately), I will go either early in the am or after 8pm at night. I would start him/her slow, and try out some trails if you have access. I will be doing more trail running once the snow/ice is gone. Right now we can only hike.

They say running on paved surfaces is bad for people, too, but I'm in better shape than many of the people I know.

Last edited by RocketDog; 02-15-2012 at 08:01 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers all. They were what I expected.

A few times on walks, I would jog with him just for a minute to see his reaction. When I tried to run him on grass, he kept pushing to get back on the pavement
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 07:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
There is so much conflicting advice to be had on this subject. Also on humans, too.

I've been running for 20+ years, have rheumatoid arthritis and my doc says KEEP RUNNING (I also lift weights and have no knee issues, no ITB issues, no hip issues, etc). But all you ever hear is "running is bad for you! It'll ruin your knees!"

I think sometimes we're too careful of pups, in SOME ways. I finally took my pup on a short run (about 2+ miles) after running .25, then .5, of a mile with him. He hikes WAY more than that, and I had a funeral to go to in Montana which would put him in his crate for about 5 hours. He is 8 months old today, and this was about 2 weeks ago. It didn't even faze him. Half of the run is on the sandy, dirt shoulder. The other half is on asphalt. I had to play ball with him when we were done, even.

I would for sure start slow, be prepared to stop and walk if the dog shows signs of not enjoying it or needing to, and mind the weather. I never run during the day if the temp is over 70-75 (we don't have much of that weather here, unfortunately), I will go either early in the am or after 8pm at night. I would start him/her slow, and try out some trails if you have access. I will be doing more trail running once the snow/ice is gone. Right now we can only hike.

They say running on paved surfaces is bad for people, too, but I'm in better shape than many of the people I know.
Nearly all of the above applies to me, except I have been running for 50+ years. Add to the fact that I am 15-20 pounds overweight, so it is now jogging. The surface is equally important as the distance. I think you should keep it under a mile until the dog is 1 and increase maybe 1/4 mile per month up to age 2. Others in this forum have had good experiences running farther with their dogs, as have I, but I would not advise running farther to an unknown person/dog.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Crowned Member

I started running with Niko (just two miles) when he was a year old. We ran on dirt roads since we don't have paved roads where I live. he handled it fine and never showed any discomfort. We worked up to six miles a day by the time he was 18 months old.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page