Should we buy GSD first or 2nd? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Should we buy GSD first or 2nd?

We are in the process of buying a GSD (already met with breeder, said that she should have come in heat in Jan but still hasn't come in heat yet) and we also want a west highland. should we buy the west highland first and introduce the GSD puppy or get the GSD and then introduce the west highland after we have had awhile to work with her? The breeder said he would release the puppy at about 7-8 weeks. We will be new GSD owners and new to this whole process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 12:25 AM
Banned

I would not get two dogs within two years of eachother.... one is hard enough and expensive enough. GSDs need a ton of attention and are very smart and therefore very naught sometimes. Remember that getting them so close together usually means you will lose both of them close together (death).
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Elite Member

If I am choosing to have two dogs that are different in size, and have the chance to plan ahead, I'd want to have the smaller dog first, and then wait until it's 18 months or older before adding the larger one. To me, it seems easier to teach a younger pup to be gentle with it's older 'sibling' who is going to be much smaller than it is to teach a big dog to be gentle with a small dog, though of course it can be done. While it's very nice to have two dogs grow up together, there are lots of things to think about - like the cost of vetting two young dogs in the first year or so with all the puppy needs, and the fact that they will both be seniors around the same time.

It would probably be a good idea to talk to the breeder about your plans as well, they can offer you good advice along the way, and help you figure out what's right for you.

My Dog: Krissie ~ Beagle Mix Extraordinaire 09/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Master Member

Training a puppy takes alot of work if you do it right. I also wouldn't want to have 2 dogs that would be passing around the same time of old age. JMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page