do you let your shepherd play with very small dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

do you let your shepherd play with very small dogs?

well i took lexie to the dog park today, i only take her when nobody is there (it was very cold today) we were having a nice game of fetch and hide and seek, when a woman with a mini pinscher showed up and came in. i hooked up lexie's leash because i didnt know how she would react to this tiny little cutie (she was about 3 to 5 lbs). well that little robust dog wanted to play so bad with lexie, and all my dog did was try to hit her with her paw. but i didnt trust her to unleash her i was afraid to. so i told the woman i would go,(we had been there for half an hr) but she said no, that she would go and left. anyway i know some of you at there take your dogs to the park, do they play well with these little dogs? i was afraid lexie thought the dog was a squirrel. my dog is 7 months old and is about 50 lbs or so
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
well i took lexie to the dog park today, i only take her when nobody is there (it was very cold today) we were having a nice game of fetch and hide and seek, when a woman with a mini pinscher showed up and came in. i hooked up lexie's leash because i didnt know how she would react to this tiny little cutie (she was about 3 to 5 lbs). well that little robust dog wanted to play so bad with lexie, and all my dog did was try to hit her with her paw. but i didnt trust her to unleash her i was afraid to. so i told the woman i would go,(we had been there for half an hr) but she said no, that she would go and left. anyway i know some of you at there take your dogs to the park, do they play well with these little dogs? i was afraid lexie thought the dog was a squirrel. my dog is 7 months old and is about 50 lbs or so

I would not, unless my adult GSD was very used to playing with little dogs. Too easy for the little one to get hurt just by accident. All the big dog has to do is to bump the little guy never mind any prey drive stuff.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Crowned Member

Shasta is allowed to play with smaller dogs. She's very good with smaller dogs and puppies. She'll lay down and just play with them. She really likes mirroring and they play bow and all kinds of things. It does however depend on the dog though. When Shasta was about your pups age, she was very rough and did like to paw, like yours seemed to try. She's learned to tone it down though. its also in the training too. If she's never allowed to play with smaller dogs, she's not likely to learn how to behave properly with them. Its really all about supervision IMO.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Master Member

I just got a 19 week old toy poodle puppy. My german shepherd (4 years old) is interested in him, but she generally leaves him alone. It has only been a few days and I am hoping for the best.

Ditto GSD- 6 years old
Daisy Alaskan Husky- 4 years old
Weegee Toy Poodle- 2 years old

Always loved, missed, and remembered:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 12:21 AM

Kaiser plays with my mom's two dachshunds and my sister's two dachshunds. Kaiser does very well with little dogs, he will get on their level. Although I tend to keep him separated from my sister's dogs now because the girl bit his tongue this past summer and blood squirt everywhere . Ends up the little ones are sometimes the ones that can cause the harm!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 05:14 AM
Knighted Member

I don't let my Shepherds loose around any dogs smaller than my rescue (60lbs). They are even sometimes too rough for her. Just recently, Wiva put two holes in her neck
Plus their prey drive is so high that they pretty much want to catch and kill anything that moves so I don't take that chance.
Also we don't go to dog parks...

Ash

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 07:13 AM
Crowned Member

I do let mine play with small dogs, but she is only 5.5 months. I might add that since day one she has been around lots of cats, bigger dogs, and a rabbit. She also does well with the small dogs in obedience class...they bark at her and she looks at them like they are crazy. I intend to keep taking her around all sizes and types of dogs so that she can learn to adjust accordingly...so far its working

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 07:51 AM

my stryker only has our lil fat pug otis to play with during the day till we get home. he is great with otis, it looks rough when stryker chases otis and pounces on him but oitis can hold his own and try and play back. but i only let them play cause stryker was brought up from a pup with otis and otis beat him up when he was a bigger so i see it as pay back now lol.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 08:08 AM

I find the little dogs have something to prove and usually chase Gunny around the dog park. People get a laugh at watching him run away from them. I however, don't think its so funny.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 11:34 AM

The smallest dog Sophie has ever played with was a Pit Bull pup that was maybe around 10lbs, but Sophie didn't really want to play with her. She was more infatuated with the other two Shepherds that were there!

My mom and I took Sophie and her Husky, Aviee, to a dog park yesterday, but no one else was there, so they got to run and play by themselves. But usually, if Sophie goes to a dog park to play and exercise, she prefers the dogs her size and bigger. She usually avoids the smaller ones on her own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page