My puppy doesn't like going out! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

My puppy doesn't like going out!

Okay so I've taken some advice from another post and we've been working on it. Winter is 3 months old and we usually go for 2 walks a day and have been for 2 weeks. She doesn't seem to be getting any better though! She seems nervous the whole time unless there is complete silence and nobody in sight.

We went to the park this morning. She was not excited, didn't want to play. She just skulked around me sniffing at things. When we are walking, if a person/bike/pushchair comes past us, she will stop and backup to a wall, and stare until they are a long way past. And we've encountered a lot of people, she doesn't seem any more comfortable. This afternoon we walked to pick my son up from school, and although we were well out of the way she was so scared she was shaking.

When we come home from a walk, no matter how short she drags me home and as soon as we get indoors she goes crazy. I can tell she's glad to be home. Today we were waiting in our front garden and as people walked past (well out of reach) she was barking at them. Is this protective behaviour for her home? Is this okay?

We have puppy class in the morning, I think she's going to have a heart attack when faced with other dogs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 01:09 PM

Distraction and reward are your best friends. When there is something scary distract her with something she likes -- food toy or whatever. Bend down to her level and be next to her. When she looks at the things that scare her reward her. Baby steps required to build confidence here.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Crowned Member

I'm glad you have a puppy class starting soon...with a good trainer & one that takes control of the class she will be fine.

When mine was a puppy I would bring him to an adjacent field where a kids sports game was going on. We would sit and watch from a distance, play, walk around, sometimes I would have him track for his kibble, work on sit up's (sit/down).

We were away from everyone, but he still got to hear & see the action.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page