One undescended testicle - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

One undescended testicle

Hey guys, so Rocky is a little over 2 months and I took him to the vet about a week ago. She said that he has one undescended testicle and if it stays like that, I will have to get him neutered otherwise he can get cancer. Did anyone else have this problem?

The only easy day was yesterday.
-United States Navy Seal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Crowned Member

I don't think much of your vet

First off, it's entirely possible that he other testicle might drop. My puppy's testicles didn't both come down and stay down until he was 14 weeks old. Others have dropped even later than that.

Second, if the testicle does not come down, yes it will need to be removed eventually because it has a higher risk of cancer due to being kept at a high temperature inside the body. However it's not an emergency. Plenty of people who have dogs with a retained testicle don't have them neutered until a year or two old.

Third, if the testicle does not come down, he SHOULD NOT EVER be bred, since it is partly genetic. However, if you can remain committed to making sure he never reproduces, it is entirely acceptable to only remove the retained testicle and leave the other one where it is in his scrotum, so he's not "completely" neutered.

Hope that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Knighted Member

I second what Emoore said. Both of my pup's testicles are retained so he will def have to be neutered, but my vet said not to worry. He would be fine for up to a couple years. I'm for sure waiting until after his first birthday, but hopefully until at least a year and a half.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 06:31 PM

My pup had one undescended testicle when I got him at 8 weeks. By 12 weeks it was down and has been ever since. I'm no expert, but I think the odds of it coming down are still pretty good so I wouldn't get too worried yet.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky69 View Post
Hey guys, so Rocky is a little over 2 months and I took him to the vet about a week ago. She said that he has one undescended testicle and if it stays like that, I will have to get him neutered otherwise he can get cancer. Did anyone else have this problem?

Yes, Kaiser had the same problem. Unfortunately his never descended and had a cryptorchid neuter at about 6 months. He is now a year and 8 months. He is a big healthy boy who has no problems since.. except recent discovery of allergies. Either way your baby will be fine
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Elite Member

Retained testicles seem to be fairly common. Although they really should be down by 8 weeks, it is not unheard of them coming down much later. The latest I knew was a year old dog with two descended testicles, one came down at a year but the other did not. That is very uncommon though. Usually if they aren't down between 12-16 weeks, they aren't coming down. Retained testicle are at risk of becoming cancerous but in older dogs, so I'd still wait until he is an adult to neuter.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Alright, this helped a lot. Thanks guys!

The only easy day was yesterday.
-United States Navy Seal
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Elite Member

Benny also had one retained testicle and at age 2 /1/2 i had the retained one removed to reduce the risk of testicular cancer but left the other intact so he would have the benefits of being intact. He will not be bred .

Benedict GSD 4/13/09
Pippin GR 2/6/14

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 02:58 PM

Leo is just over 8 months old and has one undescended testicle. Chances are it won't drop. I'm waiting until he's around 1.5-2 years old to get him neutered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page