Just another puppy socialization question... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Just another puppy socialization question...

Hello everyone, first time GSD owner here. I have a 10 week old male and he has been absolutely awesome... Only a few accidents, whines for a maximum of a couple of minutes when we put him in his crate, ALMOST sleeps through the night, and is doing well with basic commands.

My question is about dog socialization. He is great with people. We have been around a huge mix of humans and he hasn't had any problems with that. The issue is with other dogs. He is always fairly reserved at first and usually backs up when he sees another dog approaching. Without fail, he will start barking after 10 or 15 seconds of being in close proximity with the other dog. He doesn't seem to want to play or do the whole doggy sniff sniff greeting thing.

How do I go about getting him to enjoy doggy socialization? I never tense up with the leash when we meet other dogs and I always maintain a calm, collected demeanor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 09:11 PM

I personally don't like to let my dogs meet other dogs on leash especially if they are just strange dogs you are passing on your walks. Try and find some dogs you can do a doggie play date with. Nice adult dogs who will mostly ignore him to bring out his confidence would be good and also some puppies for him to play with. Wait until he is less reserved to introduce him to the crazier more playful types as these could overwhelm him. Just hang out in the yard with him and the other dog and let them be he will eventually at his own pace become more curious in the other dog.

Just make sure you choose dogs that you know he will have a good experience with.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 11:26 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

He's only a baby so you have tons of time to work thru this. Being patient and making sure all the dogs he meets are friendly (and patient) is key.

Can you find a puppy class in your area to help? That way it's full of other crazy pups learning how to figure it all out.

It just sounds like he's a bit overwhelmed and uncomfortable with new dogs right now. You can work thru it.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I am looking into getting him into a class ASAP. Thanks for the quick feedback I just wanted to get an opinion from more experienced GSD owners. I assumed it was mostly a puppy thing, as I have seen quite a few other posts that seems to ask the same/similar question. Any other dog socialization tips would still be appreciated.

One method I have heard of is to turn the pupy around and not let him see the other dog until he is quiet, and repeat this as long as necessary until he is ready to meet the other dog quietly. Does this method have any basis to it?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicSays View Post
One method I have heard of is to turn the pupy around and not let him see the other dog until he is quiet, and repeat this as long as necessary until he is ready to meet the other dog quietly. Does this method have any basis to it?
No. This is a good method for adult or adolescent dogs who are having reactive aggression issues. You have a baby puppy who is having fear/nervous issues. It's totally normal for puppies to be fearful and nervous of older, bigger dogs. He's also a little young to do the sniff-sniff greeting thing. Usually, when a baby puppy meets an adult dog the puppy will either try to move away or, if it's a dog he already knows and trusts, will usually roll over on his back to submit to the older dog. If your puppy can't get away and doesn't already know/trust the other dog, he'll try to scare it off by barking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
No. This is a good method for adult or adolescent dogs who are having reactive aggression issues. You have a baby puppy who is having fear/nervous issues. It's totally normal for puppies to be fearful and nervous of older, bigger dogs. He's also a little young to do the sniff-sniff greeting thing. Usually, when a baby puppy meets an adult dog the puppy will either try to move away or, if it's a dog he already knows and trusts, will usually roll over on his back to submit to the older dog. If your puppy can't get away and doesn't already know/trust the other dog, he'll try to scare it off by barking.
Ok, so then I should just let this run it's course for now? I'm getting into a puppy class in about 2 weeks so I am hoping that will help him a lot.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Crowned Member

Remember that your job is to protect your pup. Like Clyde says, there's really no need for your dog to come in contact with strange dogs ever but especially not at this age. Puppy class will be good. Stosh met two good friends in our class that he still plays with- they come over here or we meet at the training club to play. Good luck with class- enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page