A little confused on coat development - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

A little confused on coat development

At almost 7 months Beau still has a LOT of puppy coat.

He has adult coat along his back the sides of the chest, his neck, has feathering on his tail and thighs but still has a lot of puppy fuzz on his back legs and loin.

Is that typical or is he just slow getting coat?

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 10:09 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Pictures!!!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Crowned Member

Is he a long stock? Annie is and it took her almost a year to start getting a full adult coat. The first winter (she was a year old) she didn't have much undercoat, I started to think she might not get any. (she has it now)
I can honestly say she went through some pretty strange looking stages while her coat was coming in. Part long coat, part short...pretty weird. Always wondered if all long stocks are like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Rua
Master Member

I'm so glad you posted this. My girl is getting a new coat in as well, but I'm a bit unsure as to what is normal and what's not. She suddenly got all these grey looking hairs (Is this the undercoat?) sprouting up all along her black puppy coated back. But she still has tons of puppy fuzz on her sides.

At what rate does a GSDs adult coat come in?

I'll be curious to see what the more experienced have to say on the matter.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

He is a big boy (I think ) who has grown quickly the past month.
Ok the camera on my phone is only good for still shots so (blush) I know my dog is not the only dog who does this. No toilet tank chemicals at my house......

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Oh, he is a patterned sable so it is more a question of texture than color. He is not blowing that fuzz which looks uneven on the back - it is not combing out.

The disturbed hair on the back too. ????. Never seem him licking or scratching there. It is not wet. and the underlying skin is not irritated. Normally I would think flea allergies but Cyra is flea allergic and if there is a flea in my house. POOOF. she gets scabby back there and is miserable.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Elite Member

He's a puppy and this has been an odd winter so my dogs are all blowing coat in weird ways--and weird times.

I don't really expect to know what color my sable dog is until he's over a year--all depending on the time of year--because it will change seasonally.

Gotta love those sables.

What color is Oda now, eh? I thought she was finally going to grow her adult coat and first she shed her undercoat like a yak, then she started shedding out her guardhairs, and now she's wandering around in the softest fluffy undercoat and still shedding guardhairs.... I'm sure she'll be in heat any day now--maybe then I'll finally figure out what color sable she is!

Christine

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

LOL well I guess we will just have to wait. Never thought about the weird winter doing stuff. My adults have normal coats (Neutering did a number on 8.5 year old Grim but it came back better than it was)--hers looks as wonky as Beau's

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah it's normal. Just saw some 7 mo old czech pups yesterday and one has mostly adult coat in, the other still about half puppy and half adult coat.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Elite Member

Kastle is a long stock coat. He shed his puppy coat pretty fast but it's really slow leaving his head area (his floofs are slowly thinning out). He was a REALLY poofy puppy so it's easy to see how his hair changed I think. I think Beau is ok at that age, especially with the crazy weather...

Puppy coat at 4 months:

Here you can tell he is starting to get his adult coat in (one month later, at 5 months), you can *see* the texture changes:

The change started like this:

This is what he looks like now, at 8 months:

Eden, my Corgi is blowing coat like a fiend. She's got mangy tufts sticking out all over her body and I pluck her every day LOL The weather is doing a number on her. No one else is blowing right now though.

I love the toilet shot hahahaha

Also, I see lots of dogs with cowlicks on the backend, by the base of the tail. I think it's cute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page