Reuniting litter mates at 8 months??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Reuniting litter mates at 8 months???

Through the internet, I've managed to locate and befriend 4 of Kira's litter mates.

We all live within 100 miles of each other, and have spoken about getting together for a day.

If it were to happen, they would all be about 8-9 months old.

What to expect?

Are litter mates natural playmates?

Based on our conversations, it appears that they all have the same relaxed temperament.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Crowned Member

My boy met his sister for the 1st time this past fall they were around 19 months...we were at herding class.

She was not fond of him AT ALL...she wanted nothing to do with him. lol

I don't think they know a littermate unless they grew up together.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Elite Member

My girl met her sister this month. (9 months) it went fine. I guess it just depends on the dogs and their socialization

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Mar 19, 2011

Prince vom Gildaf "Charles" August 16, 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Crowned Member

Onyx met her brother at 10 months then again at a year he came over to play. They got along well, but he was an 'only' dog and didn't really know how to play with Kacie and Onyx. They were a bit rough on him, but then he gave it back after he learned the ropes.
Same sex may not get along as well. And I don't think mine knew they were related.
This is their first greeting(Taz is the black and tan/Onyx is the bi-color)

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 04:54 PM
Crowned Member

To be honest with you, they probably won't even remember each other. It will be like a meeting a dog they've never met before.

It would be pretty cool to see a whole litter together again. See how much everyone looks a like and what not.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Crowned Member

Those are great pictures onyx'girl!

I honestly think mine made a rude gesture. Both were in a sit & we were talking, they were not touching each other. My boy put his paw up & gently touched her nose and she did not like that & gave him a warning growl and that was that.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Crowned Member

Taz did try to mount my females when he visited, they corrected him. Both spayed and not into that. Onyx also met her sister who lives about a mile away, Onyx was drugged up after a vet visit, so more mellow. They didn't play, but sniffed each other...female interactions are much different than boy/girl strange dog introductions. I don't trust females so much.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Crowned Member

I think it just depends on the dogs in question and how social they are, but I do believe there may be a familial scent that allows them to recognize each other. Of course, a lot depends on how they got along when they were little. When Luka met Lark again at around 14 months of age, they got along famously, as though they recognized each other. Luka was spayed and Lark was in heat, and Luka tried to mount her sister several times--Lark thought that was just dandy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page