It's not enough.../It's too... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Banned

It's not enough.../It's too...

I hope nobody minds this and it's probably in the wrong place, but it occurred to me today, people's dogs are growing up either too friendly or too barky/aggressive!

Are anyone out there's dogs growing up just right?

Our Ruger has barked a couple times, almost surprised himself, I think.
Yesterday one of the family members (either hubby or a kid, I forget) opened the back door unexpectedly and Ruger just let out this deep "WOOF"!
Then wagged his tail LOL so cute.

I think he's progressing along nicely, he's around 10-11mos. now. I expect some alert barking and showing some suspicion which is I believe what I saw yesterday. Not aggression, just kind of a "Okay, what's going on back there??" and the investigate the situation. When he saw it was one of us, he wagged and was happy.

But I'm getting a kick out of those whose dogs are "too friendly to strangers" and I feel sad when I see those whose pups are growing into aggression because I think that's worse in a lot of ways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Crowned Member

The only changes i've seen in Shasta recently is she's very friendly BUT the recent change has been she seems to be more aloof with strangers. She'll say hi, sniff and go about her business. She's not actively seeking people out like she used to which i'm actually happy about. I do wish she was a bit more suspicious in regards to the door and alerting but maybe given more time that will change as well. She turns 2 in May so we'll see.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Crowned Member

I'm not too sure what the question was? All I know is my puppy is perfect! She might just be the best dog on the planet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Well it was a comment/question...are anyone's GSDs growing up just right, not too aggressive but not with the proper "aloofness" towards strangers to which the standard speaks?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Are anyone out there's dogs growing up just right?
They're out there but the owners aren't posting questions because they don't have them! This is why I love puppy class out of all the classes I teach, these are the folks who are getting out their early and things to ensure their puppy grows up right instead of trying to fix a problem that's existed for 5 years.

EDIT, I think I get your question

To answer your initial question, I think my dogs are growing up just right even if the Lakelands have a complex and believe they are Shepherds . Ryka accepts attention but isn't going to clobber you with kisses nor will she make an aggressive move.

Becca

"Ryka" CDX RE BH CGC (GERMAN SHEPHERD)
"Tre" CH RA CGC (LAKELAND)
"Moxie" (LAKELAND)

Last edited by gusto; 01-21-2012 at 04:38 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 04:37 PM

I think Kaiser is "just right". He isn't overly friendly with strangers but will accept their attention. He is super tolerant of dogs and people. I am loving him with my fosters as he gives very appropriate signals to establish boundaries and teach them what is acceptable. I didn't raise him from puppyhood though. He was rescued from a neglectful "breeder" at 1 year old.

Raven is the overly friendly with people kind of dog which I attribute to her being at rescue events since a very young age where her job was to be friendly to people.

Jamie

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Crowned Member

I agree, we don't hear about the perfect ones, because there isn't a reason to ask for advice!
Karlo is one of the perfect ones, he is aloof, not reactive and neutral to other dogs and people. But he is a bit on the suspicious side, so is always observant. It is his temperament/genetics, not so much how he was socialized.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned

If I had to choose (other than perfectly aloof/suspicious) I'd pick overly friendly because it's easier to deal with.
But we did get him to create a certain amount of trepidation in people when they visit!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 06:11 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Gryffon is totally perfect, and exactly what I wanted. I had wanted a dog that was more on the friendly side than the aloof side, and he is. To my way of thinking, a dog can't be too friendly. I can get him to ignore people and focus on me without any problems, but will also be a super friendly dog when allowed to interact with strangers and friends alike.

He alert barks, but is quiet in general. Great with my cats, responsive and naturally self controlled. The biggest challenge I faced when looking to get another dog, was finding one whose personality would mesh with Keeta's: I needed a confident, strong dog with natural aggression and a never-die attitude for Schutzhund, but one that was mellow enough and easy-going enough that he would not be bothered by Keeta's bullying or pushy behaviour - dang if that is not exactly what I got. He is strong enough in protection work that advance trainers/competitors were impressed with what they saw in him, but in the house he defers to Keeta and is happy to allow her to be top dog, but can stand up to her if she tries to bully him around or push him around too much.

He doesn't care much for other dogs, and having a dog that plays with unknown dogs is not a priority to me. He tends to put on alpha airs when around other dogs, but one word from me, and he is under control. For example, the other day I was talking to some neighbours, and their dogs were getting growly and getting into Gryffon's face (I was in their driveway). Gryff was off leash, and was getting growly back at them. I immediately platzed him, and he hit the ground, and focused on me for the rest of the conversation, not even looking at the other dogs. When we walked on, he just got up really happy and sauntered on like nothing happened, still ignoring the other dogs.

What can I say, he's just perfect.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Crowned Member

Kopper is frickin awesome. He's everything I could have asked for, plus about 10% extra. And on long days I could do without that 10% extra.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page