Over Exercising 13 weeks - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Anastasia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Burlington County, NJ
Posts: 341
Over Exercising 13 weeks

Jack is 13 weeks today and I am starting to be concerned that we are over exercising him. DH takes him for a walk in the morning around 4:30 AM that is about 2 miles but has 2 steep hills in the walk.

I play ball in the yard with him in the morning around 10 AM and again in the afternoon around 2 PM for 10 - 15 min when he gets too hyper in the house or some afternoons we'll walk around the block.

When Ed gets home for work between 5:30 - 6:30PM they do another 20 to 30 min walk around the neighborhood.

Jack doesn't seem tired at all on his walks and that is why we have worked up to what I think are long walks for his age. We are trying to take our cues from him but it dawned on me last night as I was bribing him with a "cookie" to get him to come back inside out of the freezing cold that maybe we shouldn't rely on his judgement!

So, are we over exercising our pup?

Last edited by Anastasia; 01-14-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Anastasia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 02:37 AM
Senior Member
 
4score's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Auburn, CA
Posts: 275
I don't think so. We are taking Walter on 2 walks per day as well - each being about a mile. In between, some fetch and tether ball. He seems fine and is sleeping nicely at night. Walking "away" from the house is slow going as he is a bit reluctant to leave the house, but once he senses that we've turned back toward home, it's all we can do to slow him down!
4score is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Anastasia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Burlington County, NJ
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4score View Post
I don't think so. We are taking Walter on 2 walks per day as well - each being about a mile. In between, some fetch and tether ball. He seems fine and is sleeping nicely at night. Walking "away" from the house is slow going as he is a bit reluctant to leave the house, but once he senses that we've turned back toward home, it's all we can do to slow him down!
Thats our experience with Jack exactly! Slow to start almost like he doesn't want to go and then on the way home no mater which direction we are coming from he knows the way and gets faster with every step!
Anastasia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Master Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ma.
Posts: 961
Since my GSDs were brought home at 8 weeks old they were off premises off leash walked and exercised for 2 -3 hours daily. It certainly was not enough to knock them out for the day or cause any limping or complaining.
lrodptl is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 02:24 AM
Senior Member
 
4score's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Auburn, CA
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasia View Post
Thats our experience with Jack exactly! Slow to start almost like he doesn't want to go and then on the way home no mater which direction we are coming from he knows the way and gets faster with every step!
It's getting a little better each day, but he STILL gets reluctant when leaving home on a walk. And it's like he's a homing pigeon on the way back! I try changing to another way/street and he still knows it leads back! I'm amazed by this. My wife has better luck driving into town and walking around the streets. Thankfully, he doesn't know which way is home at that point!

What does Jack weigh? Walter seems to be growing like a weed lately. Yesterday, he was 36 pounds. But he doesn't look fat at all.

Do your hands have scars too? LOL
4score is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 02:46 AM
Knighted Member
 
RocketDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 2,945
I exercised my pup early on, both on and off, but lots of it off-leash. I watched him for signs of fatigue, and he seemed fine. However....I just finished reading "Calming Signals" by Turid Rugaas and also many of the questions and answers on her website. If I could go back, I would definitely do LESS on-leash walking. Two miles is a lot at that age I personally think. Possibly too much IMHO, and I'm only saying that because I just went through it and wished I had gone a bit slower.

Sometimes they're like a child and can keep going long after they should quit. The thing is, it can overstimulate them and cause them to get a bit stressed out, therefore they might act up at home and in the house and then we think they're not tired enough, so it can be a bit of a vicious cycle. Also, it's easy to expect a lot out of them too early in terms of on leash behavior. I always stopped when my pup was pulling, so sometimes (we didn't do two miles at that age of leashed walks for sure but at 5-6 months we did) it would take a long time (plus a mile of ours is uphill at about 8% grade), meaning he was out there "learning" for a long time. I don't correct or anything yet, but still--that's a lot for a pup. I've cut that back, at the age of 7 months and he is calmer and happier. We still do the off-leash hikes, because he LOVES that, but that's different.

Just my .02, but being reluctant to go and happy to come home might signal he doesn't love it that much either and it's overstimulating to him. When we do the off-leash (I live in the mountains so there's a trailhead across the street about 50 down the gravel road) he can barely contain himself and when we get there on the way home, and he sees the gravel road, he slows w-a-y down....I practically have to pull him home, LOL. That to me tells me he likes being out there.
RocketDog is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 08:23 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator
 
MaggieRoseLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bushkill, PA (The Poconos!)
Posts: 27,477
This is Glory B's exercise at 12 to 13 weeks.


Glory B today


Had you seen this link ----> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e-puppies.html






***

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 01-20-2012 at 08:28 AM.
MaggieRoseLee is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 09:07 AM
Elite Member
 
Holmeshx2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ft. Bragg, NC
Posts: 1,684
LOVE the videos!! Definitely a huge fan of all the Glory puppy videos and greatly urge everyone to really watch them and notice all the little things in them. I did before getting Jinx and it made such a huge difference with her as a pup MRL is like the puppy whisperer lol.

So back to the puppy thing lol. A few miles ON leash may possibly be a bit much however off leash at their pace it's nothing. I urge you to find somewhere offleash it will wear your pup out like nothing else you do. If you have to drive a half hour to an hour for somewhere off leash DO IT!! It's worth it!. As far as it "over stimulating" them I don't technically think thats what it is. It's going to tire them out physically however it's really going to mentally wear them out (especially off leash). Also know they are like a young toddler they will get super tired and push through it then become BRATS. They will push for a second wind, get into things they aren't supposed to, act like a wild thing and just plain fools. It's not that they aren't tired it's the fact they are overly tired and you have to force them down for a nap. Actually as a pup the craziness is one of 2 things... too much energy or too tired you just need to learn your dog and learn to figure out which is which. With Jinx it wasn't too hard when she would come flying out of the bedroom first thing in the morning dive onto the coffee table throwing my breakfast and computer off of it then sitting there tongue flapping in the air and tail wagging I KNEW. Definitely time to grab the backpack and throw her in the car. Now a bit later after about the 10th time of telling her know it dawned on me it was time for a nap so into her crate she went she would throw a hissy fit for a minutes then drop like a rock for a nice nap then wake up being a great puppy. They are super easy at this age (minus the super scarred hands lol) it's foundation work, exercise, food, naps. In the exercise it's not just physical the mental stuff wears them out even quicker. Around 8 when she would start getting crazy and it was dark I'd grab a pack of treats and started training inside then she'd lay down and be a great pup again. Also don't underestimate the power of being on the ground to play with your pup its a fantastic way to bond.

Jinx vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Holmeshx2 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Knighted Member
 
RocketDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 2,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmeshx2 View Post
LOVE the videos!! Definitely a huge fan of all the Glory puppy videos and greatly urge everyone to really watch them and notice all the little things in them. I did before getting Jinx and it made such a huge difference with her as a pup MRL is like the puppy whisperer lol.

So back to the puppy thing lol. A few miles ON leash may possibly be a bit much however off leash at their pace it's nothing. I urge you to find somewhere offleash it will wear your pup out like nothing else you do. If you have to drive a half hour to an hour for somewhere off leash DO IT!! It's worth it!. As far as it "over stimulating" them I don't technically think thats what it is. It's going to tire them out physically however it's really going to mentally wear them out (especially off leash). Also know they are like a young toddler they will get super tired and push through it then become BRATS. They will push for a second wind, get into things they aren't supposed to, act like a wild thing and just plain fools. It's not that they aren't tired it's the fact they are overly tired and you have to force them down for a nap. Actually as a pup the craziness is one of 2 things... too much energy or too tired you just need to learn your dog and learn to figure out which is which. With Jinx it wasn't too hard when she would come flying out of the bedroom first thing in the morning dive onto the coffee table throwing my breakfast and computer off of it then sitting there tongue flapping in the air and tail wagging I KNEW. Definitely time to grab the backpack and throw her in the car. Now a bit later after about the 10th time of telling her know it dawned on me it was time for a nap so into her crate she went she would throw a hissy fit for a minutes then drop like a rock for a nice nap then wake up being a great puppy. They are super easy at this age (minus the super scarred hands lol) it's foundation work, exercise, food, naps. In the exercise it's not just physical the mental stuff wears them out even quicker. Around 8 when she would start getting crazy and it was dark I'd grab a pack of treats and started training inside then she'd lay down and be a great pup again. Also don't underestimate the power of being on the ground to play with your pup its a fantastic way to bond.
This is exactly what I meant. On-leash for a steady 2 miles at 13 weeks really could be too much, if it's a regular neighborhood setting. Off-leash, swimming or hiking or romping in a park, is different entirely, I think.
RocketDog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome