Request for experts' take on this - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Request for experts' take on this

Please forgive my posting this in another thread first. I realized that it would be a big "thread-jacking" there, so I am starting a new thread.

I'd appreciate you experts take on an incident I had with my Lobo many years ago. He was my first GSD and I bought him from a reputable breeder, Fernheim GSDs. I got him at 8 weeks of age and started him in puppy kindergarten as soon as I could. We eventually went through advanced obedience classes, though I wasn't really interested in competition.
I don't know that he was dog aggressive, he never started anything with other dogs. On walks, in the park, out hiking, he would pretty much ignore them but did want them to keep their distance. One time, however, he really reacted poorly and it was when another dog attacked him.
We were walking in our subdivision early in the morning, when a neighbor came out of his house to get his paper. He let his two dogs out, off lead. I saw them and Lobo and I crossed the street, just to avoid any problems. The older dog, a retriever of some sort just walked to the sidewalk and laid down. The smaller one, a poodle mix I think, started barking and the guy called him. Lobo and I kept walking on the other side of the street. We passed the house, and the guy was headed back to his porch, when the poodle mix came tearing after us. I turned to meet the dog, yelling at him to "GO! HOME!" He ran around me and jumped at Lobo's face. I don't know if he actually made contact or not because Lobo jerked the leash clean out of my hand and took off after this little dog. In just a couple of yards, Lobo caught him and rolled him with his mouth around the dog's middle. I had been yelling at Lobo to come, but he completely ignored me until he caught the other dog. Then he let go and trotted right back to me. The poodle mix jumped up and scooted right back home to the guy who had been shouting uselessly for him to come back. I apologized to the fellow for Lobo's behavior and he told me the dog was just wet where Lobo had mouthed him.
He said, "If he is stupid enough to take on your big dog, he deserved it."
I didn't know what to say to that. If he had kept his dog inside, or on a leash, the whole incident wouldn't have happened.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 01:31 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

That wasn't being dog aggressive, that was just teaching a bad-mannered brat some respect. He could have done a lot of damage to the little dog, but chose not too, just pinned it to teach it manners. Lobo sounds like a stable, well socialized dog. He should have followed your lead and directions to ignore the little dog, but he wasn't acting aggressively just decided to take control of the situation.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Knighted Member

The dog on the other thread is a pup. I believe that pup needs to gain confidence by not being put into certain situations.

In the case of your dog I see it as normal behavior.

Every dog who responds to a situation like what you mentioned is not dog aggressive or fear reactive.

Jack has been bit by a couple of loose dogs. Jack is neutral to other dogs but in those instances If I hadn't held on to him it would have been very bad for the other dogs since they were much smaller and he was really mad at being bit. Scary mad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page